Stainless steel exhaust

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Stainless steel exhaust

Post by HugoHarris »

Can anyone comment on the stainless steel exhausts offered by Dino Parts and Superformance in terms of quality, fit and sound? The Dino Parts one is nearly twice the price. I feel the standard mild steel 3 box system over muffles the engine and I want to do something about that. Ian Tyrrell fabricated a straight pipe version with the rear two boxes virtually deleted (see here). The Dino Parts stainless "sports exhaust" appears to be somewhat similar. Any experience of this system greatly appreciated.
2400 Spider #1364
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Stainless steel exhaust

Post by Stefan2000 »

Just my humble opinion.
To me the sound from a Dino out of the exhaust is totally irrelevant. In my opinion it does not even have a good sound from the exhaust, regardless of the exhaust system used.
All the sound comes from the front, it is a combination of mechanical noise from the engine; whining gears, induction sound, barking carburetors, the odd firing order and the bank angle of the engine..... The more noise from the back, the less you hear from the noises that really matters.
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

I have a Superformance stainless system, and the sound is not too dissimilar to the original... You can still get some nice pops and crackles on the over run etc...

Had always wondered about the option of deleting the rear box, and just trying straight tube instead. :D
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

I just checked the invoices from the previous owner and the stainless steel exhaust installed in 2005/06 came from Dinoparts. Since it was done under previous ownership, I can’t really comment on the fitment other than it doesn’t look like it needed modification. Likewise on the sound; it sounds very good overall, but I have never really actively taken notice of an original system to compare.
DINO_UYU
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by DINO_UYU »

I'm with HugoHarris on this one - have you heard Iain Tyrell's Spider? It sounds absolutely marvellous.

And the ITG filter too. Totally reversible so I don't understand why more people don't do this conversion. I'll be getting one, once I can get the car started :roll: :lol:
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

DINO_UYU wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:51 pm And the ITG filter too. Totally reversible so I don't understand why more people don't do this conversion. I'll be getting one, once I can get the car started :roll: :lol:
We installed it, but the hood didn’t close anymore :lol: Probably because it’s had a shunt at some point :cry:
beebee246

Post by beebee246 »

Hello,
I don’t know which type of ITG foam filter you have, but there are 2 that suit the Fiat Dino set up. The older style of the 2 has equal height along its entire length. These crush when the spider bonnet ( hood) is closed, but seem fine for coupes. The later type slopes down at the front, in other words is shallower at the front, and this type clears the hood when closed. If you have the former, change it to the sloping type. If you have the sloping type, I don’t know why the hood won’t close,
Good luck, Brian (1319/1470BS)
DINO_UYU

Post by DINO_UYU »

And I'm sure there are plenty of other filters that will also fit. I notice that the one Iain Tyrell has on the Spider also sloped towards the front.

Maybe this can as subject for another thread - Show us your performance air filters.
Ribolla_67

Post by Ribolla_67 »

The disadvantage of the ITG filter: higher intake temperature meaning slightly less power.

Misunderstanding in Iains video: the LARGER the filter - the lower the airflow drag. So the original FIAT air filter is the best possible solution under the given package - with relative high production cost because of its size.

Ideal solution would be direct connection to fresh air
Felix
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Felix »

I assume Ian's exhaust system is modeled from the abarth one. Have a similar one, think from Canada, installed in a 2.0 spider and I'm very happy with it. The open carburetors sound great in the tunnels, city and at the ice cream parlor, but you need a solutions for the engine ventilation, they are a bit loud over long distances and the engine should get more air and performance with the original filter, It's best to try everything, ice cream parlor, with open or closed airfilter with or without oil stain in the parking lot. 1000 miles open or closed and with different passenger. Ian's choice is really good but I actually don't have the comparison because I don't want to have one. Love this sound, not every day but more and more often......