2.0 ltr Spider

General Discussions and Socializing

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

Gaelicguy
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

2.0 ltr Spider

Post by Gaelicguy »

Hello one and all,
I’m tearing my Spider down to nuts and bolts. There are quite a few operations requiring smart workarounds if you don’t have a factory tool.
One that has me stumped is removal of the hub center and brake discs for a “knock on” wheel model.
Is there anyone in the US who has a tool I could borrow or rent. The discs look and measure new, even after sitting for 35 years, but I want to replace all the rear axle seals.
Here’s hoping someone can help , or even better tell me how to remove them! I know how, but don’t have the tool.
Michael
Too many motos and cars, not enough life left! :D
Dinoswede

Re: 2.0 ltr Spider

Post by Dinoswede »

Assuming you don´t really need to separate the actual knock-off hub from the driveshaft, there is a way
withdrawing the driveshaft from the rear axle tube - with brake disc and knock-off hub still in place.
Skärmbild 2023-05-12 082801.png
Skärmbild 2023-05-12 082602.png

After dismantling the brake caliper from its bracket, only four bolts 4149851 are holding the brake
caliper bracket, which holds the driveshaft with the outer wheel bearing and brake disc in place.

With a suitible spanner, there is possible to undo the four nuts 12164721 and withdraw the driveshaft.
If you don´t have a suitible spanner, buy a standard one, like this:
Skärmbild 2023-05-12 084453.png
Skärmbild 2023-05-12 084453.png (61.29 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
After suitible heating, bend it to a kind of S-formation, like my terrible drawing:
Skärmbild 2023-05-12 091413.png
Skärmbild 2023-05-12 091413.png (21.24 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
The shown measurement is of importance, to make the spanner fit into "the brake disc inner circle".
Otherwise the spanner and the nuts cannot be turned freely.
Skärmbild 2023-05-12 091845.png
Skärmbild 2023-05-12 091845.png (439.7 KiB) Viewed 2732 times

Good luck!

Dinoswede
Gaelicguy

Post by Gaelicguy »

Thanks for this Dinoswede,
A few of question,
1. I assume it’s not possible to change bearings, only seals?
2. What is the dimension for the distance from the center of the spanner to the start of the offset. I assume from yr sketch that the offset makes the ring and open end in the same plain? In other words it would lay flat on the bench!
3. When you pull the shaft out, would this allow you to change the discs?
Thanks
Michael
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

1. No problems with changing the bearing. It is fixed to the drive shaft with a crimp metal ring,
which is to be exchanged at the same time as the bearing. You first slide on the new bearing,
then heat up the crimp ring and press it down, to secure the bearing to the shaft.

2. The distance you have to figure out yourself, as I for the moment not have access to the tool
I made. But the "first" bend should be close to the "ring end".

My drawing probably confused you - no, the S-shape should not be "sideways" - that means the
spanner should not be lying flat on the bench, after the conversion is made.
When you are under your Spider, trying to use a regular "ring spanner", (not sure if it´s the correct
name for it) you will understand which way you have to bend the spanner.

3. Yes.

Dinoswede
Gaelicguy

Post by Gaelicguy »

Thanks Dinoswede,
I did answer my first question when I went to my garage ( not close to home).
The tool is a ring spanner to most English speaking places. But here in the US and Canada they are wrenches, which actually makes sense as you are wrenching (pulling) on a nut or bolt.
Thanks again
Michael
Garlicguy