removing brake master cylinder

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

4cambob
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

removing brake master cylinder

Post by 4cambob »

Has anyone removed the brake master cylinder on a 2l coupe and if so do I need to completely remove the whole dash and separate all the instrument wirings first as well as the need to remove the clutch master cylinder ?. My car has the cast iron master cylinder if that makes any difference. I cant see another way of doing this and it seems quite a job.
bhiggins2

Re: removing brake master cylinder

Post by bhiggins2 »

I replaced my brake MC without removing dash which I don’t think gives you any more access. I removed drivers seat and laid down with my head in the drivers footwell. The steering column needs to come out. It is really tough to get wrenches on all the brake line fittings and the angle has to be perfect transferring the old fittings to the new MC or you will get to do this many times. Someone told me (after I did it the hard way) that it is easier to drop the whole pedal/brake/booster/clutch box and then it would be so much easier to get everything lined up. If you have fittings on the firewall to disconnect hydraulic lines, then drop the whole box with booster and MC as one unit. I will definitely do that next time the added having to rebleed the clutch circuit would be worth it for the easier access to the brake MC.
Ben Higgins
1967 Fiat Dino Coupe
4cambob

Post by 4cambob »

Thanks Ben. For some strange reason I was thinking of removing the "female blocks" on top of the MC but access does seem easier to the male brake unions instead. However as is often the case with these things, mine are all seized solid so I hope that penetrating fluid will work otherwise I may have to cut the lines and renew but I would rather not. I dont think that removing the steering column is going to make much difference so will try without doing this.
Where did you get your new master cylinder from and is the quality good.
ThomasK
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by ThomasK »

Hi,
I can agree to the proposal to remove the whole pedal block. By doing this you get access to everything and can pretty good reach all lines and bolts. To do that the steering column has to be removed. The pedal bock is fixed with four bolts, two from the engine bay two from inside. And you have to open/disconnect the lines as stated before, and remove the vacuum line from the brake booster. Sounds more complicated than it is, a bit easier to doveithbteo people. If you have a very early version where the brake lines are one piece going directly tinted master cylinder: haven’t seen this yet and no clue how to best handle this…
KR Thomas
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

I am pretty sure I got my brake MC from Superformance.
I would have to go back and check my receipts to be 100% sure.
I did have to file off some flashing to get one of the connections to fit.
So far it seems to be working fine.
Ben Higgins
1967 FIAT Dino Coupe
Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Dario »

Ditto, brake MC rebuild kit from superformance and removed/installed it on my back w/o the driver's seat and steering column. I did not drop the pedal box and it was a PITA for sure. Doable, no leaks since 10 y...

The MC is solid, with little to go wrong except the perished rubber. If yours comes out and looks ok, I would just rebuild it. It's very easy to do.

Dario
Georg
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Georg »

I once removed the MC at a 2.0 Fiat Dino SPIDER. I had to remove the whole dash board. No chance to do this without. Much easer to reach all nuts and the brake lines.
Georg
4cambob

Post by 4cambob »

I managed to do it without removing the pedal box,steering column or booster, but did take the dash top off to get some more access to the connections.