First or second series of a Fiat Dino 2,0 Litre?

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

Dinoswede
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

First or second series of a Fiat Dino 2,0 Litre?

Post by Dinoswede »

Among Fiat Dino 2,0 Litre owners, it seems to be some confusion over when the switch between "the first series" and "the
second series" was made.
Mike Morris tried classifying the 2 Litre production in "early" and "late" cars, but a problem (already) with that is, all changes
were not done at one occasion only.
Also, FIAT neither classified the Dino production in the traditional "year model" system, nor in terms of a "first or second series".
This seems to be a later invention, made by owners and the motor trade.

The year model info for a specific Dino is more likely to be linked to the first registration date, or date of delivery to the first
owner, than a specific production date. Changes in production were done when suitible, not as a start of a new "model year".

Below a list over the major changes FIAT made during the 2 Litre Dino production. The research through the original Spare
Parts Catalogues shows that not every part change done is listed with a corresponding chassis number info. That means, most
minor changes (e.g. a thicker bracket, or a longer bolt) can not help in classifying the Dinos in "first or second series".
So, I have tried to find and list the major changes only.

Dinoswede

Rectification: The first 2,0 Litre Coupe equipped with Dinoplex AEC 101 from factory was AC 000 2466, not AC 000 2436!
bild_2022-05-21_121338187.png
Last edited by Dinoswede on Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gaelicguy

Re: First or second series of a Fiat Dino 2,0 Litre?

Post by Gaelicguy »

Thanks for this, I know it took some time as I tried to identify my car#663 was in the “ early or late” category.
Now I
Again, many thanks
Michael
Too many motos and cars, not enough life left! :D
Macaco
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Macaco »

I thought the leather wrapped bakelite steering wheel was equipped in early Coupe's also.
I've acquired a very good one recently and assumed this is right for my chassis number 1324.
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

Macaco, you are absolutely right. In my list, I have used a small " - " sign, to indicate when no chassis
numbers are shown in the Spare Parts Catalogues.

Concerning the Spider, the wooden steering wheel was first to be seen in a picture of AS000 0526, but re
the Coupes, I have never found any factory pictures or any documentation at all showing which Coupe
that actually was first to get the wooden steering wheel. So, the chassis number is not known.
Therefore, every time when the chassis number is unknown, the list shows just a " - "

For instance, the switch from the 3 damper exhaust system over to a 4 damper exhaust system, is shown
in the Spare Parts Catalogues without any serial numbers information at all. But, as I considered this being
one of the major changes, I choose to put it in the list, anyhow.

Concerning the centre nut wheels, the soft top frames, the wooden dash, the optional electrical windows,
etc, these all are Spider-related only, of course. Therefore, no corresponding chassis numbers are to be found
for the Coupes in the list.

Dinoswede
Macaco

Post by Macaco »

Hi Dinoswede,

Thanks for the explanation. So in case of the introduction of the wooden steering wheel it's a "To Be Defined" for the Coupe.

Thanks,

Michiel
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

For the record: AC 0001883 and AS 000636 both have linkage throttle, not the cable. I will check my copy of a late issue parts catalog which lists update numbers into 1968. The downloaded PDF catalogs I have are of an earlier issue, and incomplete. From what I recall the updates corellated accurately with these 2 cars. I did receive my copy from a reliable source - Fiat Motors North America .. in 1979! Forever thankful to Tony Ciminera for having his secretary make cover to cover photocopies of whatever he was able to find in their archives.
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

Hi, GaryS!

If looking at the Spare Parts Catalogue pages (below), both the 2 Litre Spider no 0636 and
the 2 Litre Coupe no 1883 are claimed to be equipped with "the earlier" cable throttle system
from factory. The cable is no 4161638 or 4173435, depending on length.

At certain details, FIAT seem to be quite meticulous re the way their Spare Parts Catalogues
show which serial numbers different spare parts would fit, or not.
My guess is the throttle bowden cable had a tendency of getting sticky from the engine heat,
and the switch over to the adjustible link (no 10124311) was done at the same time as the
switch from Weber DCN to Weber DCNF carburettors.

If your Dinos have the later adjustible link, they ought to have been upgraded in some way?

This page covers Dino Spiders (07) up to serial number 0725:
001.jpg

This page covers Dino Spiders (07) from serial number 0726:
002.jpg

This page covers Dino Coupes (05) from serial number 2031 (I am missing the first version of this
page, showing the Dino coupes (05) up to serial number 2030):
003.jpg

Dinoswede
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

I pulled out the hardcopy binder to check, and indeed these pages match yours, along with an additional page A2.21 a specefically showing the detail updates for two styles of the linkage pivot base (?) which mounts atop the cam cover. II 1970 would be the edition of this catalog which your version represents as well. As for modifications being done prior to my acquisition - if so there would likely be some hard to hide butchery involved. Specefically where the pivot block is located on the firewall there are 2 studs mounted from the interior side which would not be possible to replicate to the same detail as well as the two captive nuts from the inside of the structural member where the left hand support bracket is mounted. Both 636 and 1883 seem to have been manufactured during late November or December 1967 - though thats a tough one when you consider where the process begins is at the coachbuilders and not the Fiat line in Grug ..... isco (?).
Agreed that Fiat is usually meticulous in this regard, But sh%# happens! BTW I am no longer the caretaker for 636, but was pleased to do so from 1982 to 2006/7.