Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Gaelicguy
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

2.01967 Spider #665

Post by Gaelicguy »

Good morning all,
My Spider came from Germany in the early 70’s in a GI’s luggage🤪
It has flat orange turn signal lenses, which I believe was required in Germany at the time.
However, it does not have the small orange side marker lights just behind the signal lights. There is a perfectly circular plate on the inside of the fender which looks like it is spot welded in place.
Is there anyone who can confirm that the German delivery cars did or did not have these lights.
Also there does not appear to be a wire from the signal light for it. I will check the old wiring to make sure someone didn’t just cut it off.
Thanks in advance
Michael
Too many motos and cars, not enough life left! :D
Georg
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: 2.01967 Spider #665

Post by Georg »

Hi Michael,
At that time, in Germany it had been required that cars had to have orange front turn signal lenses and an orange side signal markers. Dinos exported to the German market did have that as a factory standard.
In Italy instead, front turn signal lenses where white.
Your car seems to have been modified. Taken away the side marker lights, closed the holes and cut the cables.
If you like to take it back to original specifications, just find the correct Carello side marker lights (Fiat parts number 4164654, if you do not find them in the US, I might have some on stock), drill the holes at the correct positions, do some anti corrosion protection on the drilled holes and mount the lights. You would need to install two cables, alimentation and ground.
You spider will be one step closer to original.
Georg
Gaelicguy

Post by Gaelicguy »

Thanks Georg
I do have a NOS Carrelo German Orange in perfect condition. I also have a NOS white one without the Germany stamp inside.
I am going to list the white one in Marketplace for either exchange with a NOS Drivers side or for sale.
I’d prefer a trade as we don’t have to haggle on price.
Unless of course you have one to trade🤪
Thanks again for the info.
Michael
ThomasK
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by ThomasK »

How ist it in spiders: I know from the Dino Coupes, that there are German versions, where the indicator has only one contact, and yellow lenses, and the parking light is kn the main light. How is it on the Spiders? Does your German indicator has also only one contact? On my Spider I have the indicator with two contacts, and bulbs with two contacts. Maybe it’s similar on Coupe and Spider?
Gaelicguy

Post by Gaelicguy »

I will check it later today Thomas
M
Gaelicguy

Post by Gaelicguy »

Thomas
Attached is a pic of both NOS lights, they have the same part number, but the orange lens one has Germany stamped in the casting.
Both are single conductor.
Michael
Attachments
inside of turn signals.jpg