Clock repair 2000 coupe

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

bhiggins2
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Clock repair 2000 coupe

Post by bhiggins2 »

I removed the non-functioning clock from my car.
When disassembled, and energized, if you give the oscillating weight a little push start, the clock works until power is disconnected.
Without the push start, it does not start when energized.
I sent photos and a description to Palo Alto Speedometer for a quote on repair.
They said they no longer have parts to repair this style clock.
There is an electro-magnet in there and one resistor and some really neat mechanicals that look like the inside of an old cuckoo clock.
They could retrofit a quartz movement for USD $1,200 and it would take 3 months.
I am not spending USD $1,200 on a quartz clock when I can purchase a new one from several retailers for USD$200-300.
I prefer the sweeping motion of the original second hand to a quartz one, and even if it wasn't terribly accurate, having the original mechanical clock functioning would be preferred to a new one.
Has anyone successfully repaired one of these clocks?
Thanks, Ben.
Attachments
clock back.jpg
Veglia clock front.jpg
Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Clock repair 2000 coupe

Post by Dario »

Hi, a search of Adrian Le Hanne's posts on clock repair will yield priceless info. Generally, it seems that the capacitors fail (leak) and this would potentially explain the symptoms that you describe. The two transistor (BC148C) can also fail, and are sometimes available on eBay, but then nothing would be working. The rest is pretty solid, so generally not a problem. I replaced both transistors and capacitors on mine and had it professionally cleaned and oiled. It worked flawlessly after that.
good luck,
Dario
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

Dario,
I searched "clock repair" and even author "Adrian Le Hanne" on the FDF, but nothing came up. Also tried a general Google search, without luck.
Would you happen to have a link to the handy?
It would be nice to restore if it only needed capacitors.
Thanks, Ben.
Dario

Post by Dario »

Hi, I'm currently travelling so no access to the pictures at home-I think I have a few of the clock's interior. If you are courageous enough, you need to start by opening it: pull off the knob for setting the time then, turn over the clock and with a very small screwdriver and pilers, bend back the small lip of the black bezel from the plastic housing. Be careful not to open it too much or ruin it. The good news it that the sides are mostly hidden once the clock is installed. Then, remove the back nuts and pull the clock apart. To remove the needles, use two small teaspoons to leverage them off after you have protected the clock's face.
best,
Dario
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

Dario,
I have pulled the clock out of the case. The bezel wasn't terribly tight as someone has been in there before me.
I only looked at the back and the sides of the movement.
I didn't remove the hands or dial, but I could easily do that.
I have dabbled in amateur mechanical watch repair, so I have hand removers and setters and many watch repair/making tools.
Are the capacitors and transistor accessible under the dial? I did see one resistor near 1 o'clock on the rear.
Thanks, Ben.
ebrown5686
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by ebrown5686 »

Hi Ben,
You might want to give MoMa a try, a great gauge repair shop here in Albuquerque. I've had nothing but great results when I've used them. The main guy is Joey, a great guy. I haven't got the phone number right at hand, but if you need help, just ask and I'll find it. He repaired my clock with a quartz movement, but was able to give it the same look it originally had. Give Joey a try!
Ed
Spider 2400 #1396
Dario

Post by Dario »

Hi Ben, if you are there already, can you post a picture? I see that the face is a little different from mine which had the stalk at the 6 O'clock position.
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

I put it back together but I could take it apart again and post some photos.
Ben.
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

D&M Restoration said they can't fix these clocks anymore because there are no parts available.
I will give MoMa a try.
Here are some photos of the inside of the clock.
I don't see any transistors or capacitors, just the one resistor and the electromagnet.
Everything else looks mechanical.
Ben.
Attachments
Clock 1.jpeg
Clock 2.jpeg
Clock 3.jpeg
Clock 4.jpeg
Clock 5.jpeg
Clock 6.jpeg