Restoring a 2.0L 67 Fiat Dino Spider

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Inventi
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Restoring a 2.0L 67 Fiat Dino Spider

Post by Inventi »

Hi everyone.

After a life long desire fulfilled, I purchased a 1967 spider from member 19633500GT who started the restoration. I had the car shipped to Las Vegas in January to a shop called O'gara motoring. I know all the mechanics there very well and they were quite interested to take on the project, which helped with my decision to purchase.

The car number is: 621

I have owned a '70 246 Dino GT before for 15 years so I have some experience. I've wanted the Fiat Dino version since the 80's but never could quite pull the trigger. They were a lot cheaper then!

You can see the progress on FerrariChat in the "Other Italian section". This is the same car on Youtube that was featured with Ammo car products.

Its pretty rough but seems to be almost without rust and very complete parts wise. It appears the engine was rebuilt 20+ years ago and then was simply parked. It does run, sort of, but the fuel system is almost non-functional. We're starting with the mechanical issues first. The gearbox is out and the enter clutch system and flywheel replaced. Rebuilding carbs and replacing the fuel system. We have electrical problems we have to sort out. Until it starts I don't think we know the full story. The biggest problem has been restoring the fuel tank which is being done locally. The body and paint is simply awful but we don't see rust at this point. None underneath at all. it appears to be a low mileage so I can imagine the 35K Kilometer reading on the mileage to be correct or close to it.

I don't know if its possible but I would like to get it running and with new paint before the end of this year. Its not going to be a museum piece. Its going to be extremely nice but something I can drive.

WIsh me luck! Another Spider returns from the grave.
Attachments
IMG_7734.jpg
IMG_7705.jpg
abarth4
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: Restoring a 2.0L 67 Fiat Dino Spider

Post by abarth4 »

Looking forward to seeing as many pictures as you can post up along the way. Congrats on your purchase and I'm sure you'll enjoy the finished project!
Charlie Bates
Metamora Illinois, USA
Fiat Dino Spider 2400 #1186
Argonaut

Post by Argonaut »

Great decision... and I wish you all the best for this project.

Everything, which is painted in black at the bottom of the car looks to me like previous repairs... once the paint is off... you will discover some weldings most likely.
Nevertheless, if you open the spots at the A-pilar you might want to have a deeper look inside as other sheets might be affected (which I wish is not the case). If so, then take care of them as well as it increases the overall stability of the car enormously. One indicator could be... if you are having the car on a lift and the doors are not closing or neot closing easily this area is the first one I would look into.

Please keep us in the loop.

Argonaut
Inventi

Post by Inventi »

A couple of pics of the progress since Feb. It arrived non- running but we knew the clutch didn't work. Gearbox is out and new flywheel being replaced (too rusted to resurface). New complete clutch assembly (it actually was new 20 years ago) and all new hydraulics and springs going in. We are adding a new electronic distributor. This car was pre-Dinoplex. Believe it or not my 246 Dino GT still had the original working Dinoplex when I sold it -- over 30 years from when it was first installed.

The biggest issue has been cleaning the fuel tank and restoring it. In the end I may have to buy a new one. Hoping to save the original. Fuel pump, tank level sending unit shown here when they were removed and all carbs being rebuilt. The photo of the pump and sending unit give you a general idea on how long this car sat. Some of it is just TLC. The valve covers leak like crazy so we are sending them out for polishing before new gaskets are installed. Underneath the car is all looks very good. Luckily its new life in Nevada will keep it that way.

Its got most of the body and interior parts but today I received a new Front Grille from Superperformance along with some missing badges and stuff. Once we get it actually running it we can tell what problems we have in other systems. We can see the electric fan isn't hooked up for example. There are some loose wires in the steering column. So we have electrical issues to resolve. Its a big project, but worth it. Saving one poor Spider at a time from the scrap heap. She's a survivor. Time to rise and shine.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions here and there. Thanks very much for any help from other owners in advance!
Attachments
IMG_0076.jpg
IMG_0076.jpg (169.46 KiB) Viewed 284 times
flywheel old and new.jpg
73206108387__1B5CF8C5-3409-4A4E-A516-CB5B15BEFA10.jpg
IMG_7701.jpg
Inventi

Post by Inventi »

BTW the doors to open and close on the lift without a problem. The original undercoat is on most of the underside and we don't see any rust in joints we would expect to see them in. It doesn't look like it sustained any major collision damage but I am concerned the front was hit slightly at some point

We still have to strip the paint and look at what's underneath. Not sure what we'll find but for a mid 60's Fiat this one looks pretty darn good.
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

Inventi wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:42 pm We are adding a new electronic distributor. This car was pre-Dinoplex. Believe it or not my 246 Dino GT still had the original working Dinoplex when I sold it -- over 30 years from when it was first installed.
I'd give it a try with a good or refurbished original distributor and a Dinoplex. You seem to know that they are actually reliable. They are also better than most aftermarket ignitions. Only MSD and Winterburn are on the same level. These two can also be installed into an original Dinoplex housing if you don't find a working Dinoplex/coil or you don't trust their reliability.
Even if your Dino was first series and pre-Dinoplex, Fiat intended to retrofit them all since they realized that it is not running properly on points only in higher revs.
See this regarding the Dinoplex retrofit: http://www.fiatdinoforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=10

Fingers crossed that you don't encounter any serious problems during restoration and have fun soon with the Dino!
Inventi

Post by Inventi »

Thanks for the information. Hopefully in the next two weeks the car will actually be running and we can see how it works.
Inventi

Post by Inventi »

The new Front grill arrived from Superperformance UK and its excellent. Its difficult to tell from the online photo on their website but its perfect in person. I was worried about the fit and finish. We test fit it and all the mounting points line up. The flywheel, clutch, and gearbox are back in the car. We need to install the master and slave cylinder and the clutch issues should be finished. Still our biggest concern is electrical and we won't know the extent of that until we get it started. The carbs should be rebuilt this week. We still have plenty to do while waiting for the repair of the fuel tank and parts polishing.
Attachments
IMG_7823.jpg
Gaelicguy

Post by Gaelicguy »

Nice looking car, I have a ‘67 in Rosso red, #635. Mine is also in amazing original condition with what I thought was no rust.
A good fried and Dino officianado told me that it’s almost impossible to find an early Spider that doesn’t have rust in the sill or rocker panels ( wherever you live). A simple way to check without drilling or cutting holes, is to remove the interior quarter panel trim under the soft top frame.
From there you can see right down to the sills, use a bore scope to view forward. I got to within a foot of the A pillar before I found the inner rust, just on the driver side.
Nothing on the passenger side, but I will be replacing both sills and internal stiffener as it’s only a matter of time.
If you haven’t already seen them, Mark Delaney has a great serious of stripping down early Spiders for complete restoration. On YouTube. I would have given up if I’d have found what he did, in a car that looked perfect driving into the shop!
He points out areas that are dead give away for cars that have had work done on them.
Good luck on the start up.
Michael
Too many motos and cars, not enough life left! :D
Inventi

Post by Inventi »

Yes I have seen his videos. I'll know much more when we get to the body shop. Thanks for the advice on where to look.

If you have a car that's just a few numbers away from mine, I have a big question. Its the padding under the hood. Did they all come with it? Is it necessary? Does it interfere with the engine noise?

I can't seen anything under my hood that would indicate there was ever a pad there. I would expect some glue or something but there's nothing. Any information would be appreciated!

ALSO, I can't seem to locate the little Pinnafarina badges that half cover the Fiat Dino side emblems. Yet it has Pinnafranna badges on the lower body by the rear similar to Alfa Spiders. Seems weird they would have 2. Any information on what is correct would be helpful.