Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: which Tyres / Tires ?

Post by Fanalone »

BC5222
Argonaut
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Argonaut »

The Auto-bild classic test looks a bit odd to me as it speaks not about XWX from Michelin and not from CN36 from Pirelli.
Ribolla_67

Post by Ribolla_67 »

Well, the 2016 result is clear - first place for CN36 and third for XWX

In the meantime, there was another test executed with a Mercedes SL 107 - winner was Dunlop Sport Classic, but this is a new design in 1995 style.

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/reifen- ... 38661.html
Autobild Klassik Mrcedes R107 SL
Autobild Klassik Mrcedes R107 SL
0F12EECA-7DC5-4786-99E9-A2B140B91E2F.png (84.3 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
CN36 was on second rank, so for me it is the best tyre with classic design- and it was specifically developed for the Fiat Dino.
The new CN36 was developed in cooperation with Porsche Classic and Walter Röhrl, but nevertheless it fits to Dinos perfectly - and I like the original look.
Argonaut

Post by Argonaut »

Thank you for all those tests, Ribolla.

For me, personally, I am wondering a bit as the Michelin were always the desired equipment in the forums for the past 15 years. Also, I did not know that the Pirellis were the first choice while releasing the Dinos.

Maybe someone can give me heads-up... was it that Pirelli was not available for a while like the P400?
Ribolla_67

Post by Ribolla_67 »

The Pirelli CN36 was specifically developed for the Fiat Dino, but was not ready for the serial launch, so Fiat decided after several tests to use the Michelin XAS in 185/80 14 dimension for the first cars.

After serial release, the CN36 became single source for all Fiat Dino 2400 models and was also used for late 2000 cars (see attached picture of Geneva Salon)
According to german ams tests, the Pirelli showed sigificant improvement of driveability and stability over Michelins, specifically on wet roads. Technical reasons were innovative belt and compound technology.

In parallel, CN 36 was also used as original equipment on Porsche 911 as it reduced the aggressive sudden oversteer.
The tyre was sold in several dimensions up into the eighties, then production ended for decades.

For many years, Michelin was the only supplier of classic tyres, they did not care much about technical quality of the XWX. I bought a set for my Jaguar XJ6 in 2014, quality was poor, significant eccentricity and imbalance, almost impossible to use on the front axle. My mechanic had to compensate the XWX eccentricity with the eccentricity of the British Elend steel wheels.

XWX production was moved to Serbia long ago.

Pirelli has a different strategy (after they discovered that the classic business is attractive and profitable), when they relaunch classic tyres they use modern materials and technologies and re-develop the tyres for classic cars, as e.g. the CN36 in cooperation with Porsche Classic.

The XWX is mediocre in quality and expensive, but it looks really cool …
Attachments
1B0DF3C7-7DBA-4027-BC66-C0C0818C70B6.jpeg
B1E794D0-955C-4318-BB3E-AC9A4BDA1AA2.jpeg
Argonaut

Post by Argonaut »

Thanks a lot for all this information. This is good to hear.

I will then go for the Pirellis.
Spiderman
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Spiderman »

I put a set of CN36's on my 2400 Spider last year, would not hesitate to agree, they are excellent.
Gaelicguy

Post by Gaelicguy »

It all depends on whose 205’s you use as to rubbing.
I’m in the middle of restoring #665. I can tell you that the BF Goodrich Eurosport tire ( thread pattern the same as XWX) rub in two places. Springs and inner wheel well near where your left leg would be.
Nothing serious but rubbing non the less.
I will be installing 185’s, the car just looks right with them you’re not driving a 300hp car. The Pirellis will work just fine
M
Too many motos and cars, not enough life left! :D
Zolpidem

Post by Zolpidem »

Hello, I’m considering to buy a set of Pirelli CN36. The seller says the those tyres are actually tubeless but the Cromodora wheels are not and thus they require air chambers. I’m puzzled because so far I’m using a modern set of Kumhoo clearly tubeless.
What do you think?
Thanks
Ludovico
Ribolla_67

Post by Ribolla_67 »

I use them without tubes on Cromodora reproduction wheels…