Petronix replacement for points

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Dinoswede
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Re: Petronix replacement for points

Post by Dinoswede »

Any well-assorted store for electronic components should be able offering you the different
components inside the AEC 101. Most components are basic ones.
I have done a complete exchange of all these 25 components in my old, non-working AEC 101,
with support from Adrian´s excellent Dinoplex.org site.

It is now working like new again, with an extremely strong spark. This, plus an exchange of
the low-speed jets, from 0.50 to 0.60, made my engine (finally!) free from all signs of flat
spots or hesitation.

The only component that is more of a challenge finding, if needed, is the transformer. I have
got the impression, the transformers mostly are surviving the AEC 101 electronic break-downs,
but I am sure Adrian can confirm or dismiss that.

Two small tips:
The C2 capacitor should be 150 uF, as shown in the Replacement Component List - not 150 nF,
as shown in the Circuit Diagram.
The power resistors R1 - R5 are listed as 22 Watt, but the original R1 - R5 were probably less
than 10 Watt. (There were no effect figures shown on these originals.)
I found out, 13 Watt ceramical resistors were an absolutely maximum size for a physical fit,
and Adrian has confirmed these should be strong enough.

Dinoswede
HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by HugoHarris »

Thanks Tobi and Dinoswede. I wish i had the skills to tackle this myself but I don't. I am in touch with Stefan who is a distributor and ignition guru and knows a man who can fix my Dinoplex.
2400 Spider #1364
HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by HugoHarris »

Hi, I wanted to provide an update on my Dino ignition problems and their successful resolution.

I was having all sorts of running problems, both before a full engine rebuild and afterwards. The root cause was the ignition system. My distributor was overhauled but it had not been set up on a distributor machine – finding someone with the right skills and equipment is difficult, in the UK at least. Eventually my Dinoplex packed up - for the second time, having had it overhauled once before. After researching various options, I contacted ignition guru Stefan (see earlier messages in this thread) who is based in the Netherlands. As my original coil was still working he offered to repair and restore my Dinoplex and original distributor. However, my priority for now was total reliability and driving pleasure so I opted for his complete programmable ignition system designed for the Dino. The changes are all reversable and I will one day have the original parts restored so that the car can be returned to 100% original spec in the future.

Stefan’s system consists of a fully electronic distributor with MSD inductive sensor (no bob weights or other moving parts) housed in a beautiful new reproduction distributor body. An MSD programmable 6AL2 unit replaces the Dinoplex and an MSD blaster 2 coil replaces the original Magnetti coil. These items are obviously non-original but not wildly out of place in a Dino engine bay. The internals of the 6AL2 can be hidden inside an old Dinoplex casing if you have one. I decided not to bother with that option.

Having put a few hundred miles on the car since I can say that I am absolutely delighted. For the first time ever my Dino starts reliably (hot or cold), revs smoothly through the range and pulls like a train. I wonder how many Dinos run poorly due to ignition problems? I would guess many. The system is complex, based on emerging technology back in the late 60s and the electronic components are now 50+ years old. I greatly admire the gurus on this site (we all know who they are!) who keep things original and have the skills to set up a dizzy properly and repair a 1960s capacitive discharge system. But for the rest of us mortals I recommend giving Stefan call if you have ignition issues!
Attachments
IMG_0526.jpg
2400 Spider #1364
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

Great solution as it is reversible. I'm running a Winterburn CDI in 103 housing with an MSD coil myself at the moment - but just for testing purposes :lol:

I've tested an MSD 6A once since it is a very good replacement, but it stopped running after just one day. I could never find out why.
solomed
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by solomed »

My 101 Dinoplex in my 1968 2.0 stopped working and I'm running on points. I'm in the San Francisco Bay area. Does anyone know someone around here who can either repair or do a MSD replacement in my original box?

Thanks
Perry
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

Perry, did you try to fix your 101 with the information provided here: http://www.dinoplex.org/? I'd try this first. A Dinoplex is no rocket science.
solomed

Post by solomed »

Tobi:

I have a buddy who is familiar with electronics (unlike myself) and he replaced the "common" and "uncommon" transistors and it still does not function except in emergency position. Perhaps my friend did not do a great job however. Is there someone in the US or San Francisco area who can do this?
johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by johnharrill »

I installed an MSD in a 1967 Fiat Dino Coupe a couple of years ago. The car arrived with a Hall Effect trigger of unknown type or age. Since the car did not have the Dinoplex with it, the owner was happy with the MSD.

The car runs well, except it would occasionally stall, especially when warm and going around hard-right turns. I found an issue with the fuel pump relay where it was not providing adequate current through to the pump. Fixed that. Also raised the floats a bit. My thoughts are turning toward this being an ignition problem.

Other than watching the LED on the MSD flash, is there a way to ensure the pick-up is healthy? Should I replace it?
If so, what pick up is best?
johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by johnharrill »

johnharrill wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:30 pm I installed an MSD in a 1967 Fiat Dino Coupe a couple of years ago. The car arrived with a Hall Effect trigger of unknown type or age. Since the car did not have the Dinoplex with it, the owner was happy with the MSD.

The car runs well, except it would occasionally stall, especially when warm and going around hard-right turns. I found an issue with the fuel pump relay where it was not providing adequate current through to the pump. Fixed that. Also raised the floats a bit. My thoughts are turning toward this being an ignition problem.

Other than watching the LED on the MSD flash, is there a way to ensure the pick-up is healthy? Should I replace it?
If so, what pick up is best?
This continues to be a problem. It failed again yesterday after a 15-minute drive.
At this point I am considering junking the MSD and magnetic trigger and replacing it with a Bosch module and a Lumenition OS50 optical trigger.

How difficult is the trigger to install in the distributor?
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

If you have all the right parts it's not difficult to install, but you do need some specific parts for it, do quite some rewiring, do rotor phasing etc etc. If you do it for the first time it's not something you'll do in a couple hours.

But why don't you just have your MSD properly tested on a test-bench. Not that i'm a specific fan of MSD parts, but i have seen so many people blame an MSD ignition system for not working properly, while in the end it always turned out to be a wiring issue, bad ground connection, bad fuse connection, bad voltage regulator, a previous installment issue that caused it to malfunction....or even carburettor related.
Not that it can't fail, but i would be reluctant to throw parts at it without knowing 100% sure what the cause of your problem is. Because it might cost you a lot of time and money and you end up with the same result.

Above you mention there is a Hall sensor installed, later on you write it is the MSD magnetic pickup. What is currently installed, a Hall sensor or magnetic pickup?