Petronix replacement for points

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Petronix replacement for points

Post by Tobi »

Yes, Stefan, this sounds reasonable. Very informative video! Good contribution! Thank you for that!
HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by HugoHarris »

Thanks Stefan, great video - for those with the necessary skills whcih I don't have (I wish I did!) My strib was overhauled by UK Dino expert Mark Devaney and he will be checking it over again before refitting. Thanks for all the advice, Hugo.
2400 Spider #1364
Luis A

Post by Luis A »

Stefan, thanks for posting a link to that video, I had not seen it; it's very good. Also the Emergenza vs. Normale video. Amazing to see the difference in the sparking through the points in the Emergenza setting and the much higher energy at the spark plugs in the Normale setting. Everyone should see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNdE7E7HJU8
HugoHarris

Post by HugoHarris »

Hi, bumping this thread back to life as I need the advice of this forum again!

My Dinoplex was repaired some years ago and worked for a while but has now died again. I don't know the cause of the problem. The guy who repaired it last time no longer does this kind of work. He has had a quick look and said he believes the Dinoplex is repairable if I can find someone to do it. I have a correct working coil and the car runs in Emergencia mode. I have had a lot of reliability problems in the past, not just with the Dinoplex but with points as well. I believe I have two options:

1. Repair the Dinoplex and keep everythign original. If I go this route can anyone recommend a shop where I can get the Dinoplex fixed by someone with the necessary knowledge and experience?

2. The other option is to put the Dinoplex, coil and distributor to one side and keep them for the next owner, and replace them with a complete replacement electronic ignition system. In this scenario reliability is the main factor rather than making it look orginal, as I can always get the Dinoplex fixed and return it to original spec at some point in the future. Stefan, you recommended the MSD setup previously, but it sounds complex and I do not have the skills. If I go this route I would ideally like to fit an off the shelf solution. Does anyone have experience of the systems listed on the Dino Parts website? https://www.dinoparts.com/en/parts-acce ... n-systems/ In particular this option: https://www.dinoparts.com/en/parts-acce ... -dino-2400 Can anyone recommend an alternative off the shelf system that is known to work reliably?

Your advice gratefully received (Adrian, Tobi, Stefan and others)
2400 Spider #1364
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

I will be dropping by Stefan this summer, to have him check out the Dinoplex and distributor before I put that back in place of the 123 (great for a lot of cars, but not for dino’s it seems):

https://www.elshoutengineering.com/igni ... conversion
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

I would always try to have a fully functioning original system installed or otherwise with your car. If you have a complete system, just have your Dinoplex repaired and than you can always decide to use it, or otherwise put it on the shelve.

I think it's a matter of personal opinion if you prefer the original system or a more modern system. It can both work perfectly, but with both you'll need to know what you're doing and choosing.

First of all there is no cheap solution in getting the original equipment in perfect condition. You should not cut corners with the overhaul of an original distributor because if you do, the joy will be short-lived and you will face reliability issues or excessive wear in no-time. Also new parts does not necessarily mean good parts, so all parts that you install you will need to thoroughly check yourself.
If you do have a properly rebuild distributor, and you maintain it once in a while, it will not give you problems and you will enjoy it for a long time.

An easier, sometimes cheaper option is to go with a more modern system. There are a lot of options and one is better than the other. Many people faced more problems after converting to a more modern system than they did with the original setup.
My personal opinion is that the Bosch system as described on Dinoplex.org is a very good system (but you still need to have a well sorted distributor) and the MSD systems are also very good.

One of the easiest, cheapest and most reliable solutions in my opinion is a programmable MSD6AL2 system combined with an inductive MSD sensor.
It is a Capacitive discharge system just like the original system, it is a proven system, you won't need your mechanical advance system anymore and it is quite easy to convert.
You just have an ugly red box, but that can be mounted somewhere under the dashboard. It can also be build inside a Dinoplex case but than we are talking about something more complex.

Anyway, i think you can have a complete programmable MSD system with all the parts to convert your original distributor for about the same price as a good distributor rebuild. But keeping your car well sorted with original equipment is on the other hand also very rewarding. Therefore it's mostly a matter of what you feel most comfortable with, i would say.

p.s. I had a couple Dinoplexes already repaired at a shop here close to my place. Always received it back in perfect working order. If you want, i can ask for you.
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Hugo, first of all, is your broken Dinople a 101 or 103? If it's a 101, take a look here: http://www.dinoplex.org/aec101diag/aec101diag.html
HugoHarris

Post by HugoHarris »

Thanks for the replies guys. Just back from a long weekend in another classic - Mercedes O319 camper van, no fancy ignition technology and total reliability!

Tobi - my Dinoplex is a 101, with working coil. The shop that repaired it last time have gone through the basic tests on Adrian's website and pronounced it repairable again, but they are concerned about the quality of electronic components available and don't want to get involved. I don't know of anyone in the UK who can take this on.

Stefan, is Elshout Engineering your business? I think I need to send my Dinoplex and distributor to you. I am worried about Brexit/customs though. I will email you!

Hugo
2400 Spider #1364
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

Hi Hugo,

Yes it is my website indeed. 'my business' is quite an exaggeration because it's basically a hobby that i do beside my regular job as a mechanical engineer.
But i do have a lot of parts, i designed and reproduced a lot of parts and i have rebuild quite some distributors over the years. So i'm quite confident that i can help you with your ignition system. I cannot repair your Dinoplex myself but i have a good contact that can do it for me.
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Any good electronics technician should be able to repair a Dinoplex with the information and diagrams from Adrian. Maybe the parts sourcing is the main problem today.