2.0 Coupe - Removing Starter Motor

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

JeremyC
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

2.0 Coupe - Removing Starter Motor

Post by JeremyC »

Folks, it's been about 25 years since I last took the starter motor out of my 2.0 Coupe. Please remind me how to do it.

Many thanks.
JeremyC

Re: 2.0 Coupe - Removing Starter Motor

Post by JeremyC »

Has nobody done this?
Georg
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Georg »

Hy Jeremy
Disconnect starter battery first
Lift the car on an auto lift, all work hast to be done from below
Disconnect electrical wiring from starter and solenoid (cable 30 connecting with battery and 50 connecting with ignition switch)
Unscrew the three M8 screws which hold the starter to the bell house with a socket wrench
Try to get the starter out of this very tight spot below the exhaust manifolds. Try and error.
Have fun, it’s a lousy job, will take about 45 mins.

Georg
Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Dario »

I've done it once too many times on my 2.4L. If it it the same, it works like this:
-Unclamp and disconnect right exhaust tube from the 3-in-1 manifold.
-place a jack under the oil sump and support engine, undo right engine mount
-Lift engine a little and remove the exhaust manifolds from the heads
-Unbolt starter from the transmission bell housing
-manhandle starter towards the front, remove the oil pressure switch if necessary for clearance

Alternatively, you can also remove the transmission (been there, done that too), but it is much more work and unnecessary unless you want it off for another reason.

Clearly, you will need the car on jacks to do this. To say it is not great fun is an understatement that comes second only to being stuck on a parking lot with the starter not working :-)

Good luck, and report back if the sequence is/is not correct for the 2.0

Dario
Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Dario »

How about that, two replies in 10 min!
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Thanks folks. I messaged with a couple of chaps that know these cars very well. Both suggested the headers / engine mount approach but one also said he finds it easier to slide the gearbox back. I can see the appeal of this latter approach though I'd have concerns about getting the gearbox mated again.

George, your post seems to suggest it can be wrestled out without removing anything, is that what you were saying?
Georg

Post by Georg »

I am not sure if you will succeed to wrestle it out my way. I changed the solenoid at a 2.0 Spider some months ago, and did this without taking the starter out completely. I did this while the starter motor was in his nest. Unscrewed it and turned it. A very lousy job. I am not sure any more, if you will get it out without unscrewing the rubber mount.
Georg
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

OK thanks folks.

I got a spanner on 5 out of the 6 manifold nuts and could turn them all so I'm feeling a bit more confident about the job.
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Starter finally out!

I can confirm that on a 2.0 Coupe you do need to remove all three headers and the engine mount. With just the headers out you can get tantalising close and you may be able to manoeuvre it out but you risk breaking an exhaust stud or mangling the threads on them.

The mounting studs on the front cylinder are fairly easy to get to, get these undone and the pipe off and then you have easier access to the middle cylinder studs and so on.

Many thanks for all your advice folks.
beebee246

Post by beebee246 »

Jeremy,
Very pleased to see you are making progress. When it’s done we should have a Group weekend away in Bournemouth!!!
Now you have the starter removed, you can take the solenoid to a motor factor or starter motor reconditioner to see if they have a part that does the job. Your fall back plan would be superformance who list the part for about £80.
I fitted a high torque starter motor made by WOSP which is smaller than the original, and spins the motor over much faster. Not sure if it’s the same with their 2 litre version, but mine has the connections closer to the exhausts than the original, so they have to be heat wrapped. It was about £200, but if it needs to be removed it will come past all the engine ancillaries without removing anything.
Cheers, Brian bs1319/1470