Fiat Dino Air Vents

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

mmmmoto
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Fiat Dino Air Vents

Post by mmmmoto »

I am a new owner of a 1967 Fiat Dino coupe. I am looking for some parts, and find that Superformance seems to be the source for much that I need. However, some parts are easier to find than others!

I am looking for the following parts that seem to be a challenge to find so far:

1. I need a pair of the air vents that fit into the headliner in the back of the car. Mine seem to be missing.

2. Heater core.

3. Original style carpet set.

4. Master cylinder rebuild kit (master cylinders seem to be expensive!).

5. Original owners manual. I have a copy of the owners and parts manuals, but would like to find an original.

Thanks for any help or push in the right direction on these items.

Cheers.

Mike
Chicago, illinois
Stefan2000

Re: Fiat Dino Air Vents

Post by Stefan2000 »

These air vents seem to be problematic. I'm also looking for 1 of the 2 vents.
If i can't find them i / we might have to look into reproducing them.
Are the exact same vents used in the 2000 and 2400 coupé?
I still have 1 in my car that i could use as a sample, no idea if it's worth the hassle and how many people are missing them though.....
mmmmoto

Post by mmmmoto »

Thanks for responding. I see a pair sold on ebay in June for $250, so it may be worth it to have a batch made (maybe 20 pairs). We could stock them and sell them to others that I am sure could use new ones (they crack and get brittle over time) or are missing theirs.

I am not sure who to approach to do this, but I am interested in funding this.

Please call me to discuss at 847-722-5240.

Best,

Mike
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

I know. Even the complete one i have is not really straight and good looking anymore.
I think it will be a bit (too) complicated to have it remanufactured exactly as it is original. The original one is made out of 3 parts and left and right are opposite of each other so you would need 6 moulds. I think the best way to do it is to make it look as original as possible from the outside and forget about the mechanism itself (i have it here with mechanism and i think it's really questionable if this system would have worked anyway)
Because the missing one in my car was irritating me enough by now that i took some time to draw it. I think i can have it manufactured this way but i'm a bit scared about the price. it will quite likely be at least €250,- for a pair but i'll get back to that as soon as i know more.
I'll send you a PM

patrizio

Post by patrizio »

Stefan 2000,
I guarantee that the mechanism with the rubber membrane worked really well!
When the ventilation grids were open, it prevented the exhaust gas, during deceleration, to enter the interior of the passenger compartment.
The system of air exchange was one of the most advanced at the time and was used as a basis for the Lamborghini Espada.
For 250 euros you find them used to be restored ;)
The Dutch Dino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by The Dutch Dino »

http://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C357074

Not mine.

Although I have one similar priced spare as well if you're interested.
Leo
Dino Coupé 2400x2
The Netherlands
fdus172

Post by fdus172 »

Since it's mostly plastic - could these be done on a 3D printer ....
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

fdus172 wrote:Since it's mostly plastic - could these be done on a 3D printer ....
Could be worth a try. A 3D model seems to exist already. But the appearance will not be very original. However, it would be a good temporary replacement until finding an original one.
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

Please explain to me how this is supposed to function.
I do not see ventilation grids that can be opened and closed but just the rubber and a steel wire. Steel wire pushing against the rubber increasing force while turning the knob because of the angle of the vent-housing. I don't really see in what way this would adapt to anything like acceleration/deceleration or exhaust gasses.
But i finished the model, making it the same as original with mounting position for the rubber membrane and steel wire going through the axle. Send it out to a 3d printing company so i'll might have it here withing two weeks or something. Than i can see if it's really a nice replacement or more something for the garbage can.
Also made a left and right version.

mmmmoto

Post by mmmmoto »

Looks good. Let me know what you hear back from the printing company.

Thanks.