Heater/ventilation gremlins

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Heater/ventilation gremlins

Post by HugoHarris »

Lovely drive over the Cotswolds today in bright sunshine. But freezing. Adjusting the warm/cold air controls makes no noticeable difference - virtually no throughput of air in any position. The heater fan spins (noisily) and a barely perceptible trickle of air comes out of the footwell vents but none from the dash. From this I conclude that at least the heater matrix is doing something. Can others confirm that these controls work when properly sorted? I know I'm going to have to get in under the dash, but is there likely to be a quick fix?

Thanks,
Hugo
2400 Spider #1364
The Dutch Dino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Heater/ventilation gremlins

Post by The Dutch Dino »

Check the cable to the heater valve under the dash in the top left of the right footwell.
Heat and cold should perfectly work.

Even a good working fan is no comparison for a modern day car. But a installing a new fan (cheap on ebay) makes a big difference compared to an old noisy one.

The other switches regulate between front and rear ventilation. And I believe between fresh and internal circulation.
Footwells on the outside are controlled manually with the rotating plastic covers over there.
Leo
Dino Coupé 2400x2
The Netherlands
Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Dario »

Given how much gas gets burned, heating is no problems for the Dino V6! I get plenty of heating even without turning on the fan (just the air entering the car at speed :D ). As with all cars (modern and old), getting to the heater assembly is no piece of cake: remove center console over the transmission tunnel and you will see the cables controlling the flaps to the fan/heater assemble. Maybe one is disconnected or broken. The problem may be with the heater radiator and/or with the valve that controls the admission of engine coolant to this radiator. Mine was completely corroded and required replacement, and I had to completely flush the heater radiator several times to get the gunk out. They are a bit of a bear to get out due to their position. Did I mention you need to drain the coolant...
HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by HugoHarris »

Thanks for the advice guys. I will roll up my sleeves and let you know how I get on!

Hugo
2400 Spider #1364