Fuel pumps

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

JeremyC
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Fuel pumps

Post by JeremyC »

I fitted a new aftermarket (i.e. not Facet) 'red top' to my car late last year. I struggled to get it primed when fitted and having drained it to check the filter yesterday I am now struggling to prime it again. Has anyone else had priming problem / problems with non Facet pumps.

Thanks.
GaryS
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Fuel pumps

Post by GaryS »

If it is the Facet style cylinder fuel pump as originally fitted the problem is most likely insufficient voltage prior to running on the alternators output. The current solid state circuitry in the unit is not very tolerant to liower voltages. I have low 11's at the connection with car not running (obviously), the pump will tick but not prime. When I phoned the mftr in Elmira NY a few years back the rep told me the voltage requirements that are required for the unit to work. Of course I do not remember the exact numbers but do know that the 11.2 or 11.3 that i was getting was not sufficient. What would work for you is to install a relay triggered by the pump wire, and pulling power directly off the battery - mounted inconspicuously in the trunk compartment.