Ignition switch Issues

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Scalino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: Ignition switch Issues

Post by Scalino »

Thanks for the reply Georg! I can feel the key is in the right position and push down the pin. Still it won’t come out, it will move a tiny bit. This makes me believe I have taken out all of the screws, but I think it somehow catches on the steeringwheel lock mechanism. I’ll try again later this week with an extra pair of hands.

If anyone else has experience, I would love to hear it.
ThomasK
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by ThomasK »

I Think you are in the right Way. Play a bit around with the Key, the Lock and the pushdown of the mechanism and it will come put towards you!
Georg

Post by Georg »

Perhaps these photos can help.
Attachments
IMG_2116.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Thanks for the photos Georg and for the advice Thomas. I’ll try with an extra pair of hands and report back. It really feels like you need at least three for this job! :lol:
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

I’ve had a go with an extra pair of hands, but it still won’t budge. It’s definitely still stuck somewhere, as with two pair of hands it’s definitely not for a lack of force.

Georg, might I ask for a picture of the other side of the ignition switch?
Georg

Post by Georg »

My lock sits very, very, very tight in the steering column housing and it needs al LOT of effort to press it in and tear it out again.

Perhaps you grease the lock cylinder by pouring in WD40 or equivalent between lock cylinder and housing and then you gently press carefully with kind of a metal tube from the backside. Be careful not to bend any of the electrical pins.

You can only unlock t blocking when the key is in line the GAR sign on the front of the lock.
Attachments
IMG_2132.JPG
IMG_2131.JPG
IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2129.JPG
IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2127.JPG
IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2125.JPG
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Thank you soo much Georg!

Your pictures show I indeed got every screw and the key is definitely in the right position. I’ll try some penetrating oil and see if I got some tube or take a socket to apply pressure from the back.
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Succes :!:

I realised the crew that I took out on the bottom was looking a bit short, crawled underneath the steering column. Low and behold, there was another screw in there...
SteveW
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by SteveW »

Georg wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:12 pm Hi Christoph,
No, the switches of Dino and 124 are different. Dino has a male connector #16 which supplies the fuel pump with power when starting the motor. The 124 does not have this.
I have some new original Dino ignition switches left and would sell one. Kindly give me your email address (in a PM) so that I can send you some photos of this item.
Georg
Hi Georg
I have just joined the forum having bought a Fiat Dino Coupe recently and wondered if you have one more you could sell me?
Steve
Georg

Post by Georg »

Hi Steve, are you looking for the electrical switch at back end of the lock or for a complete lock?
Georg