Ignition switch Issues

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Christopherevans52
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Ignition switch Issues

Post by Christopherevans52 »

I have a 1972 Dino Coupe 2.4 with a temperamental ignition switch, Sometimes you turn the ignition on and the gauges fail to come live i.e. the fuel gauge doesn't switch on, you can turn the engine over but it won't start. by wiggling the key or tapping the casing under the key it will come live then starts fine. Once going it is usually fine or though has died on a couple of occasions.

I had the whole barrel out a couple of years ago, soaked it in WD40 and re assembled it which worked for a few months. I also tried to fit the Superperformance replacement switch which had different wiring and then fell apart in my hands!

Any help welcome - is it the same as a 124 switch?
Georg
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: Ignition switch Issues

Post by Georg »

Hi Christoph,
No, the switches of Dino and 124 are different. Dino has a male connector #16 which supplies the fuel pump with power when starting the motor. The 124 does not have this.
I have some new original Dino ignition switches left and would sell one. Kindly give me your email address (in a PM) so that I can send you some photos of this item.
Georg
Christopherevans52

Thanks - my e mail is chris@evanspearson.co.uk
Christopherevans52

New switch in and working perfectly - thanks Georg
PeterW
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by PeterW »

Hi

Please excuse me joining in this discussion. I own a low volume Italian car built in 1966, which I am informed used the same ignition switch as a period Fiat Dino. My car, unfortunately was broken into 40 years ago and the ignition switch was vandalised and replaced with a Lucas ignition switch. I am attempting to return the car to nearer its original state and so I am looking for a SIPEA 90030 ignition switch/steering lock. I have the original contact set, though not the lock barrel. I have been informed that the FIAT part number for the ignition switch is 4186512, and the SIPEA contact set is Sipea 606730. But I can't guarantee that the info is correct. The ignition is definitely a SIPEA 90030 though. Also, as I have the contact set, I do not require a switch with the same contacts (though that would be nice). If anyone (Georg perhaps) can point me in the right direction, I will be eternally grateful.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Hi Peter, please check the photos below if this is what you are looking for. At least the # 90030 is stamped on the front side. If you are interested kindly send me a PM to agree on price and clear sending the item to you (in which country do you live?). Alternatively, if you do not have access to send a PM, let me know your mail address.
Regards
Georg
Attachments
IMG_9523.JPG
IMG_9525.JPG
IMG_9521.JPG
IMG_9522.JPG
PeterW
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by PeterW »

Goeorg, Many thanks. Alfredo from DinoMania has helped me out. Thanks for following up though. It is appreciated. Kind regards, Peter
Luis A

Post by Luis A »

Hi Georg,

Could you please contact me at LArisso@att.net

Thanks, Luis in USA
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

I'm having similar (not exactly the same) issues as the OP. I want to take the ignition switch out and see what's going on and try to repair it using this tutorial: https://www.mirafiori.com/faq/content/switch/index.html

Not exactly the same switch I believe, but I guess the procedure is the same and worth the shot before buying a new one.

I however can't seem to get the damn thing out. I know you have to push the spring inside the small hole on the first picture, but it seems stuck on the side of the steering column.

I've read on some Lamborghini forum that there are two screws and one bolt. I've taken out one bolt and one screw. Could someone enlighten me wether I've missed a screw/bolt?
Attachments
IMG_1224.jpeg
IMG_1223.jpeg
Georg

Post by Georg »

Scalino, yes, take out the screws (one or two, cannot remember), then take a small screwdriver, press in the pin, and then turn the ignition key. At some point you will feel the pin moving deeper. I believe it is the ignition position 15, not the starting position. Only then you can press in the pin that much that it releases the lock and you can pull it out.
Georg