Urgent: dinoplex!!

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Urgent: dinoplex!!

Post by Dario »

Hi, I'm far from home with the dino and the alternator failed. I will be charging the battery at night and using it to do some 300 km during the day.

Question: can I start the car wit the dinoplex on normal and the switch it to emergency while the engine is running?

The car starts better with the dinoplex but will use less current on points.

Thanks,

Dario
ttc46

Re: Urgent: dinoplex!!

Post by ttc46 »

Hello,

In your case, I would start and run with the dinoplex; the current consumption of the dinoplex is very low,
compare to other accessories like wipers, window lifters, lights, etc ...

Regards
alh
Dino: Ferrari Dino 246 GT

Post by alh »

Dario wrote:Question: can I start the car wit the dinoplex on normal and the switch it to emergency while the engine is running?
The car starts better with the dinoplex but will use less current on points.
Yes you can, although it will use more current on points in lower revs due to the high dwell. Also, the Dinoplex is more efficient in creating a spark than the points and coil setup, so would recommend keeping the Dinoplex on.
Dario

Post by Dario »

Thank you, that's good to know. I agree the car runs much better with the dinoplex but I thought it drew much more current than the points.

I managed to do 5 hrs of driving with 5 starts on a 95 amp battery. I'll recharge it again tonight and hold on
Dario

Post by Dario »

Hi: I think my coil is dead. I have a spare marelli BE200 . It has two contacts: 16 and 1.

Does anybody know how I can connect this role run on points?
Thanks!
Dario

Post by Dario »

Should I Disconnect the resistor?
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

I think that you can run it on that coil but you might have to change some wiring.
If you want to run a normal coil and points setup (if your emergenza/coil does not work anymore) you should install the BE200 coil, run your +12v (lightblue wire?) to the ballast resistor, from the ballast resistor to + coil. From the - coil terminal to the points. This would be the case if it's a coil with a primary resistance of around 1.5 Ohm's. If it's a coil with a primary resistance of above 3 Ohm's you should be able to use it without ballast resistor.
Dario

Post by Dario »

Thanks, I didn't have an ohm meter handy to see but I managed to get it to run without the ballast resistor. With the resistor, I couldn't get a spark. We managed the last 200 Km home and now I can rest and clean everything up!