nasty noise from sump

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

mbedlam
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

nasty noise from sump

Post by mbedlam »

Hi
I am having a bit of a learning curve with my 67 2litre coupe, there was a nasty noise from the sump and I decided to remove the sump to see if there was any evidence of a problem, but there is nothing.
The only thing which could be causing this noise is the oil pick up vibrating and touching the tin pan that sits inside the sump.
My mechanic used a stethoscope to listen around the engine when running the noise was horrendous from the sump and yet there is no evidence of a problem
Has anyone else had any experience of this or heard a similar noise from their sump?
Thanks in advance for any help...

Martin
GaryS

Re: nasty noise from sump

Post by GaryS »

A loosened oil pickup will result in dramatic loss of oil pressure. You will still be moving some oil through the system but enough oil will slip out at the gap between pickup and pump to drop pressure very low. Assemble this piece with good quality lockwashers and or loc tite blue. Now the noise... Is it a clacking sound? The sump may be amplifying the sound that is coming from somewhere else, lets say perhaps a piston with a hole in the dome? Of course this is a hypothetical, but the sound would wind up in the crankcase / sump instead of the exhaust pipe. Things should be pretty quiet down there. If you remove an oil filler cap is there excessive pressure pulses and noise. That is also an ear into the crankcase.

Though not a sump noise, if there is excessive mechanical clattering at the front of the motor it could be the small bearings in the chain carrier bracket / block going bad which I think may also lead to problems with the arbor / woodruff key that mounts the chain drive gear off the crank as well as a chain sprocket gear. I only mention this as it is relatively common malady to occur and all should be aware and accurately diagnose before serious consequences. The front cover holding oil filter and water pump is the primary sound amplifier for that problem as well as a shot water pump bearing allowing for the impeller wheel to bang against the front cover.

Hope you were just having a bad dream and everything is good.

Regards,
Gary
mbedlam

Post by mbedlam »

Thanks Gary
Currently I have the sump off and ordered new gaskets from SP.
I will talk to my mechanic with your ideas but he is away this weekend.
I have a "clip" I recorded on my phone of the noise but it isn't the best recording especially on a phone but listening to the noise through a stethoscope it was really really loud right at the bottom of the sump.
I expected to see something when we took the sump off but nothing
which is why I thought it could be contact of the pick up and pan/tray
I don't recall the pick up assembly being lose...

As I say I will run your thoughts past him
And thank you for your time and input...
patrizio

Post by patrizio »

Excellent and competent analysis GaryS, now mBedlam have just to find where does the noise!
Martin, do not leave anything out, it may not be a bad dream :roll:
mbedlam

Post by mbedlam »

Thanks Patrizio
I will let you know how things go

Regards

Martin
Kev Baines
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Kev Baines »

I know it was a long time ago, but did you isolate that noise problem, I have exactly the same noise on my 2400 Coupe.
mbedlam

Post by mbedlam »

Hi Kev, blimey yes 5 long years ago, and I have sold the car....
Didn't know I was still a member of the forum but got a notification of a reply .

Fairly sure my issue was a tin guard in the sump, when we examined it there was no evidence that it was touching any other part or had been replaced incorrectly but I think my tech bent it slightly or reshaped it and we popped it back in and never heard the noise again..
Cost me a lot of money to investigate, ( I think we had to lift the engine up because the sub frame or steering ran under the sump) as you have to when you hear noises like that but, seemingly wasn't affecting the car only sounded dreadful....

But who is going to ignore something like that?

Anyway good luck with it..
Kev Baines
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Kev Baines »

Thanks so much that perfectly describes the noise Im getting. Thanks so much for your answer. Keven