Fiat Dino Air Vents

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Fiat Dino Air Vents

Post by Stefan2000 »

Today a set came in from a good manufacturer. I'm quite happy with the result. Looks pretty much identical to the original one.
Only thing is I have to coat it in a slightly more cream white color but other than that it looks and fits great.

patrizio

Post by patrizio »

You did a great job, bravo!
As for the color you can always paint them ...
I'm doing design rear passenger side grids.
I too would make them realize, as you did, in plastic or aluminum.
When I prepared something I will certainly post ....
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

Thanks,
Hope you will succeed your side grids as well, if you run into problems just let me know.
If you have difficulties you could also send it over to me and I could make some time to reproduce them as well. Most difficult thing in the process is to find out where to have them manufactured qualitywise, what 3d printing process should be used for what, what coating will be needed etc.etc. I think I have this sorted out by now.
This company that manufactured these grids will be able from next week on to print in color with this specific process, with this process it's normally quite difficult to have parts printed in a specific color.
patrizio

Post by patrizio »

I do not think to realize the side racks with a traditional 3D printing (hot wire).
I have already identified some companies that print 3D fusing powder material, even metal.
I'm waiting to have the file to request an estimate of the work.
I would still oriented, given the presence of the lamp housing that had already damaged the previous grid, to make it realize aluminum (money permitting).
robmurray

Post by robmurray »

If you make rear passenger side grids (I assume you mean the ones with the lights at each side of the rear passenger compartment as per the image) I would be keen to buy some.
Regards
Rob
IMG_0543.JPG
Dinofanwim
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Dinofanwim »

Worth to have them working properly.

My Father (RIP) had one of the first 2.0 l Coupés to be imported in The Netherlands.
I drove that car many times and as mentioned in the old brochures, it had an air conditioning system but without the help of an air compressor! (Terrific stuff and no power taken away from the engine as opposed to the airco of "modern"cars!)
As mentioned by patrizio, the air vents are equipped with membrames in order to prevent exhaust fumes getting into the car during deceleration! So it is really worth getting the system working properly! (Perhaps you might get these vents into shape by carefully heating them up with a powerfull hot air blower from Bosch or if don't have that tool you might try with a powerfull hair dryer! If that doesn't work, I would certainly go for that newly produced vent!

This is one of the reasons that I personally prefer the by Giugiaro designed Coupés! (Of course the body was built by Bertone!)
IMHO, technically the Coupé was a far more advanced car than the by Pinin Farina designed Spider and even the 206 and 246. (But this of course a matter of personal opinion, so not at all intended to be an offence!)
La passione per tutti creazone!
Alfre"dino", che significa tanto a suo padre Enzo!
Poi ha lanciato suo padre Enzo, il marchio "Dino".

Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

I made one complete set of air vent now, left and right, complete with knob, membrane and mechanism. Should function just like original.
mbedlam

Post by mbedlam »

Hi This is excellent news has anymore been done about getting these made?
I don't think mine are damaged but I would take two to get the numbers up if required.
What I need is the right hand grill type vent that sits in the rear panel though..
Any one have a spare one of these?
Thanks
Attachments
222.jpg
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

I think patrizio is still working on those. It's quite time and labour intensive to have this kind of stuff remanufactured so we just have to wait a while to let him finish it. If it won't work out one way or another I will take some time to have them remanufactured as well. Only thing is I don't want is to tear down my own car with all the grids in good shape to reproduce parts so than I must trace one of a donor car.
Last week I ordered some 3d printed parts in black, they will arrive soon so I'm curious to see how it looks and if it would be good for reproducing black parts.
Barnfind
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Barnfind »

Hello to everybody.

I finally purchased the air vents Stefan made. Expensive thoug, I can only say thankyou. Perfect fit, really close to original.

Really pleased.

Thsnks.