Fiat Dino Air Vents

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

patrizio
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Fiat Dino Air Vents

Post by patrizio »

The one that regulates the flow of air in the passenger compartment, through the rubber membrane (of course should be elastic and not aged like that in the picture) is the pressure difference that is created due to the speed and the dynamic air intakes front and side present on the car.

CAD work you have done is admirable, very good!
If you can play it working you have done a great job ;)

I'm trying to play, always with a 3D printer, the rear plastic side, those framing the control device of the rear window.
I do not know how to use 3D CAD, so I'll see that prices shoot me :(
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

We'll see how this one will turn out and from there i'll might be able to reproduce some more parts (if quality turns out to be good)
Making the 3d model is quite time consuming but at some point there are not many options. Also a good 3d model package (not the free online programmes) is really necessary to get it right and some experience will make it easier offcourse.
If this vent will be ok and you'll be able to send me the framing (i don't really want to tear down my whole unmolested car for reproducing parts) i will take some time to reproduce it as well.
Prices tend to variate mostly depending on printing quality but i always think better an expensive part than a part that is not obtainable.

Last week i had a triggerwheel 3d printed for a Fiat 130 to fit over the 3 lobe cam in the distributor (converting a dinoplex to Adrian's bosch/optical system). Parts was not obtainable so i designed it myself. Turned out to be a perfect fit and quality and functions great.
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

Great job! Which SW do you use to design the model?
Dario

Post by Dario »

Well done on the model! Let us know when you hear back from the printers... On this note, I had a friend make some 3D printed repros, and the results were pretty good. Unfortunately, the plastic they used was good until some 70°C, and melted on a hot day near the dash. You might want to double-check this with them. Concerning the function of the vents, the owner's manual states they are exhaust vents. While driving, a low pressure area is generated near the back of the car, where the vents are located. The flap stops (or not, depending on the position of the metal wire) the air from being sucked out. If the vents are opened, then air coming in from the front vents near your feet is channeled out the back. I don't think actually prevents fumes from coming into the car (this is a different issue), but it does provide some air ventilation without having the windows open (which definitively does draw some fumes in). Definitively worth having functional, though mine are always open anyways

Good luck,

Dario
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

That's indeed a good one to keep in mind! I did check temperature-ratings, this plastic seem to have it's structural strength till at least 80 - 100 C degrees and should be able to stay in correct shape till 140 or something. But i can imagine that temperature just underneath the windshield with parts in black could be problematic.
Depending on the method and material there seem to options that are better heat resistant.
The Dutch Dino

Post by The Dutch Dino »

The steel wire pushes on the rubber to keep it closed. As in your photo: vent closed.
When turning the plastic knob, the steel wire turns downwards and no longer pushes on the rubber flap. With the overpressure from the cabin the flaps will let the air through out the vent at the rear near the rear window: vents open with airflow through the cabin.

I searched for my vent as I still thought I had one, but apparently not.
Leo
Dino Coupé 2400x2
The Netherlands
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

The air vent arrived today. I send it out to 2 printing companies, a really cheap one and an expensive one and the one from the cheap manufacturer arrived. The other company told me that something went wrong with the file conversion so i have to send the file again but now i can just use the 'cheap one' first to check fitment etc. before sending the file again.
It is, as i expected for the price from bad quality. But it fits well, functions and if you pass by really quick on the highway no one will notice :)
I'm quite confident that the more expensive one will look good and that it will be a nice replacement.
To be continued.

Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

Hello.
I am also quite interested in a pair. My car came without..
I was going to reproduce them in a 3D printer, but you have already done the job.
Please consider making a complete set, I would have it for sure.

Regards.
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

Okay i will. Won't be really cheap but as soon as i know the price and quality i'll let you know.
I can have them both remanufactured, left and right.
Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

Yes, please let me know. I am interested in both left and right.

Thanks.