Suspected Dinoplex problems

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

ebrown5686
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Suspected Dinoplex problems

Post by ebrown5686 »

Hello to all,
This is Ed, here in Albuquerque, New Mexico, with spider #1396, and an original Dinoplex C AEC 101 CB, the original unit in the car. I have a terrific mechanic who worked 16 years for one of the big Ferrari shops in LA and then moved out here! My man Bert has rebuilt the mechanicals including the motor and distributor(220hp on the dyno) and all was running just perfectly until the last few weeks. Now the car cuts out above 3500-4000rpm and is doing a lot of popping and backfiring. The points are new and when I switch to emergenzia the car runs OK but not as smoothly as before.
After having looked carefully over dinoplex.org, It's easy to believe I might have a case of "problem#4" ,the symptoms really fit. Bad thyristor, what ever that is?
Bert has a lot of experience with replacing the dinoplex innards with MSD ignition, and I was all set to go, but started thinking about how great it would be to get the dinoplex fixed right! I love that whine!
So...I've done a lot of work to the car but I don't have the skill or inclination to tear into that box or start collecting electronic parts! I happened to read an entry from Hugo about his repaired dinoplex FAILING! Sorry to hear about that HUGO. I sometimes wonder if we are going through the same alternate Fiat universe.
Is there anyone out there that I can/should trust to work on that dinoplex box and get it back to 100%? I can't find anywhere in the USA. That's OK, I know how to ship things to Europe if I have to.
I may just go the MSD route, but not before checking into getting my dinoplex fixed right if I can.
Sorry, this must sound like "Dear Abby", the advice to the lovelorn column here in the US!
I look forward to hearing from you all about the best plan of action, and available repair shops if any. Many thanks to all.
Ed
Spider 2400 #1396
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Suspected Dinoplex problems

Post by Tobi »

Hello Ed,
As I wrote here (http://www.fiatdinoforum.org/viewtopic. ... 0&start=10), repairing a Dinoplex should not need a rocket scientist. Anyone who can reapair a radio using a circuit diagram should be able to do that. If somebody could let us know how to source the parts, this would be great. I did a quick search, bit was not successful. However, I have no experience in this.
If I were you, I'd install a cheap MSD (not inside the Dinoplex housing) to drive well while getting the Dinoplex fixed. This is just plug & play. Make an adapter plate for fixing and a cable adapter.
Regards,
Tobi
HugoHarris

Post by HugoHarris »

Hi Ed, for sure we are in parallel Dino universes! Last summer my car was running GREAT...then the Dinoplex died AGAIN! There must be someone with the necessary expertise in the States, but if you are really struggling it may be worth you speaking to Stefan who will hopefully be getting my car back on the road. https://www.elshoutengineering.com/ I had a lot of problems with my distributor set up as well as the Dinoplex, so Stefan is the man for that.
2400 Spider #1364
ebrown5686

Post by ebrown5686 »

Hello guys,
I can't thank you guys enough for chiming in! You've given me some good ideas, and I'll be spending the weekend trying to come up with a plan that feels good to me. It is a little tempting to wade into the world of transistors and thermal grease, but I've got to admit that in my hands risk would outweigh benefits. Maybe a temporary MSD...maybe contacting Stefan...saying to heck with it and going with my mechanic's plan...maybe trade the Dino for a Subaru! It has struck me that at least 2000 cars in SoCal are running around with Dinoplexes, and that part of the world is full of cottage-industry shops! One of them must be working on this stuff. I'll probably try hard again on Monday to see what is out there. I'll sure keep you posted.
Thanks for taking time from your own Fiat challenges to help me out. You guys are great.
Thanks,Ed
Spider 2400 #1396
Dinoswede
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Dinoswede »

When I restored my Dinoplex AEC101 four years ago, it was fairly
easy finding all the 25 different components. But how is it today?
As Tobi reported not being very successful, I thought I´ll give it
a try:

All the resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors and the thyristor
still are availible at different electronic component stores, e.g.
Conrad.com, Farnell.com, Elfa.se, Digikey.com and Galco.com.

Many of these components can be found in the same store, but
probably not all of them. You also can use the search engine
Octopart.com to track down different components. Searching at
eBay is another option.

The big capacitor C4, Epcos 1,5 uF 600V B32656S0155K501 MKP
seldom seems to be in stock, but Adrian says, MPAPB1K2W15J0M6
could be used instead!

Dinoswede
ebrown5686

Post by ebrown5686 »

Hi Dinoswede, I very much appreciated your post! It clearly shows it's possible to rehab the Dinoplex and do it thoroughly. That is very encouraging, and I'm going to try to get it done one way or another.
Unfortunately, in the course of test driving the Dino around town to visit electrical shops, I discovered on top of it all I've developed a fuel flow issue, probably fuel filter or fuel pump, that is going to take priority before I can really evaluate what's really going on with my Dinoplex. Clearly more than one problem, but I'll make sure and get the easier one fixed, and then I can re-evaluate.
Our cars are stern mistresses. Thanks for your help Dinoswede!
Ed
Spider 2400 #1396