Steering Column Bearings

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

500 Dino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Steering Column Bearings

Post by 500 Dino »

Does anyone have experience of stripping the upper steering column to access the bearings? [67 2.0 Coupe] My steering wheel has way-too much play, only in the upper area, all the column with its universal joints is fine. The wheel will rock up and down maybe 5mm. I removed the wheel and housing with the light/indicator storks etc to see what I expect is the top of a bearing. see pic please.
Superformance have some spares for 4140870 but no one is clear how they fit/what function they serve. I guess I will know if I strip the assembly but am concerned to check availability first. On Dinoparts they suggest you also need to buy ball bearings, so I guess even with new parts, there are extras to buy elsewhere?
The parts manual only shows what I presume are the 'races' or 'seats' for these bearings - the 4140870 bits - maybe these act on the larger step of this top column to run against ball bearings....but I am guessing.
Anyone been here before?

Not a safety issue, nothing feels like it will fail.
regards

Graham
Attachments
Capture Steering column bearings.JPG
20210327_130608.jpg
20210327_131137.jpg
johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Re: Steering Column Bearings

Post by johnharrill »

I replaced the bearings on mine with replacements from SP. However, I never could get the feel right.

Ended up replacing the whole column with one from the parts car. :roll:
Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Dario »

Hi Graham, I replaced mine on a 2.4L and that completely fixed a small wobble in the steering wheel. I noticed that although the bearings look the same on the drawing (they fit into the steering wheel support bracket), there is a tightening nut on the 2.4 whereas you have a spring (4140869). Could yours be missing or broken? I now understand why they changed the design going forward. To access, you will want to undo the two long horizontal bolts holding the steering column bracket, then pull the assembl off the shaft by undoing one of the universal joints. Remember to pull the bolt all the way out as the spline is indexed for safety. There are a couple of circlips holding the bearings in place, once those are off you can pull the bearings out. I have a recollection of an essential plastic spacer keeping things tight that was self-disintegrating, but this may have been on another car.

Good luck,
Dario
500 Dino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by 500 Dino »

Dario, thanks so much for your very useful reply. This makes me think the fault/failure must be in the spring or a spacer, as you suggest. There is no way my 'wobble' is due to warn ball bearings, No choice but to dive in there, disassemble and see what I find [save that job until winter] but at least I now feel ready with knowledge and can search in the right area for the problem.
Thanks again forum friends, always appreciated.
Graham