Replacing brake master cylinder fluid reservoirs

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

bhiggins2
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Replacing brake master cylinder fluid reservoirs

Post by bhiggins2 »

I have the round style brake master cylinder fluid reservoirs on my 1967 Dino coupe. There are some stress cracks visible in the plastic. They are not leaking, yet. I'm in the process of replacing the brake MC and hoses. I would like to replace the round plastic reservoirs but there does not appear to be any way to remove the metal bracket without cutting. Does anyone have a solution? I guess I could cut the metal bracket on the backside, slip out the old reservoir and slip in a new plastic reservoir. Has anyone successfully replaced the plastic reservoir without cutting the metal bracket?
Attachments
20200727_180925.jpg
Luis A
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Replacing brake master cylinder fluid reservoirs

Post by Luis A »

Are there replacement plastic reservoirs available?

EDIT: I just looked on Dinoparts and they do show them. I had never looked for them before... Let us know how this works out for you.
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

Assuming I do order new plastic reservoirs and I can split the metal brackets on the backside so it doesn't show when re-assembled, has anyone done a restoration on the metal brackets? I'm curious to know what color they were painted at the factory.
Thanks, Ben.
Scalino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Scalino »

I believe they were yellow plated, see the second picture: http://fiatdinoforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=878&start=30.

I cleaned them inside the brackets, so I have no idea whether there is a way to remove them.
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

2.4 were yellow plated 2 liter were cad plated with the top plate black phosphates.. To remove the brakes from the brake fluid container you will have to
crimp one of the holes that close in the back of the outside metal circle.. Take your time and be gentle so you have metal left to crimp it back.. done it several time not a big deal..
Hervé
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

IMG_0649.jpg
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

Ah, yes. Most likely originally gold/yellow cadmium plated. I've tried paint kits in the past to achieve this finish, and it didn't hold up very well. I could go through the trouble of zinc plating, then yellow chromate finish. If anyone knows of a powdercoat color that is close to the original gold/yellow cad finish, I'd appreciate that bit of info. Thanks, Ben.
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

Sure enough, the bracket holding the plastic reservoirs comes apart at the "rivet" holes on the back inside of the bracket. That is one fine looking engine compartment Herve. Thanks for the tip on separating the bracket from the plastic reservoir. Into the sandblaster they go. I see you have new plastic bushings on the throttle linkage. How did you get them into the sockets on the brackets?