How to access grease point in torque tube?

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Luis A
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

How to access grease point in torque tube?

Post by Luis A »

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get access to the coupler between the short driveshaft that is inside the torque tube and the differential. This:

I removed all 8 bolts from where the tube attaches to the differential and disconnected it from the from driveshaft with the 4 bolts. I still can't remove the torque tube/driveshaft combination. How does one remove this to grease the splined coupler?
torque tube.PNG
torque tube.PNG (19.11 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Thanks in advance.

Luis
Attachments
Grease point.PNG
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: How to access grease point in torque tube?

Post by Stefan2000 »

If the cardan shaft is removed you can remove the snap ring that secures the bearing in place. No need to remove the 8 bolts.
Than you can pull the complete shaft with bearing out using a slide hammer. Not much force is needed, it will slide out relatively easy.
When you have it out you can grease the splined shaft.
May i ask you why you want to grease it? There is no real movement between the parts there so there is hardly any reason to grease it. But that shaft is balanced so taking it out and putting it back in a different position might result in unwanted vibrations.
Luis A

Post by Luis A »

Thanks for the hints Stefan.

I had a slight “clunk” sound coming from that area when starting to move from a stop forward or in reverse. With the wheels on the ground and moving the driveshaft very very slightly I could hear a slight clunk in either direction coming from inside the torque tube. I don’t think it’s excessive differential backlash because the oil in it would dampen the sound and not make a clunk and the motion is very small.

Interestingly after trying to remove the torque tube by trying to move it forward away from the differential and putting it all back together again the noise has gone away. I wonder if the coupler was shifted forward or backwards more tightly into one of the two splined shafts and therefore the noise is gone.
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

As an additional hint you should also Check if the Four bolts that Connect driveshaft and torque tube are really Tight. Of not this creates this kind of clonk.
Luis A

Post by Luis A »

ThomasK wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:22 am As an additional hint you should also Check if the Four bolts that Connect driveshaft and torque tube are really Tight. Of not this creates this kind of clonk.
Hi Tomas. I think that might have been the cause. The bolts were not loose but only required very light force to unscrew them.

Drove the car Thursday to Sunday on an event with twenty-some other vintage cars for around 1,100 kilometers, very fast and hard, and not once did I hear the clunk. I should also say, what a great car this is! It kept up with no problem with other much more powerful cars such as E24 M6, 80's 911s, TVRs with V8. What a great engine this is we have; wants to rev high all the time and doesn't mind it...