Vitaloni side mirror

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

1967spider
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Vitaloni side mirror

Post by 1967spider »

Hello
I am trying to source the correct driver side mirror for my 67 spider. As you know I just acquired the car about 2 months. It came without any side mirror. The last paint job had covered the existing holes. As I inspected the paint in the driver side door closely I can see clearly there are 2 holes about 50 mm apart. I was told Vitaloni mirror was the original equipment. I looked up Vitaloni and most come with 3 holes mirrors. Any advise? Also if anyone has some old stock mirror laying around and like to sell it I would be interested in it.
Attachments
SIDE MIRROR HOLES.jpg
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Vitaloni side mirror

Post by Tobi »

The Dinos came without mirrors as far as I know. The type of "original" mirrors mainly depends on where your Dino has been sold.
1967spider

Post by 1967spider »

Thanks Tobi. It has a ROMA license plate so I assumed it was sold in Italy? Anyway after some research Sebring mirror has two mounting bolts. Was Sebring one of the choices besides Vitaloni?
jtperry8sf9
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by jtperry8sf9 »

Please be informed that the side mirrors were always a dealer installed option. Always. The spiders came from Pininfarina without any mirrors and the the coupes came from Bertone with no mirrors. So the truth is that if any mirrors at all were installed by the dealer, they could have been any of a number of brands available at the time. Maybe, just maybe, chose the mirror(s) you like best! Better then doing all of the measurements of different brands (as to what "may have" been "original") and finding that you don't like that one. JMHO.

Enjoy,

Johnny Pergolizzi
San Diego, Ca.
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

I don't know what has been usual for Italy, but I've heard that the Swiss importer used Talbot mirrors for example. As Johnny said, look what has been avaiable in Italy at the time and choose the one you like.
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

As far as I have found out, all Fiat Dino Spiders had Sebring MK 1 rear
mirrors from factory, at the left door. And yes, it has two mounting bolts.

These mirrors can be seen in all the sales brochures, promotion pics,
pics of the factory production line, and so on.

All Dino Coupes, on the other hand, seem to have been delivered from
the factory with no outer rear mirrors at all, if looking at corresponding
original pics.

Dinoswede
1967spider

Post by 1967spider »

Thank you Dinoswede. I am looking at some Sebring mirrors and surprisingly the original mirrors are expensive but they are available.
dinoverde

Post by dinoverde »

i cannot claim that the spiders were delivered with a side mirror(i believe they were as all brochures do show a mirror and all factory pictures do as well) . However the driver doors on the spiders had 2 nuts welded in place to receive the screws to mount the sebring mirror in the right location. The forward screw would go through the door sheet metal and come out the other side the upper left corner of the door to be secured on the other side by a nut..
Original sebring mirror were chromed steel. They are now reproduced in plastic..It is critical to get the right mirror as the base should have a slight pitch to compensate for the leaning position of the mirror ..
Unfortunately these side mirror don't give much visibility on the side when the top is up..A concave glass could help a bit..
I have one last original sebring metal mirror with all the correct hardware in pristine condition if anyone is interested..
Herve
dinoverde

Post by dinoverde »

IMG_3370.jpg
you can see from this picture the original mounting holes
1967spider

Post by 1967spider »

dinoverde