How do the interior vents work on a coupe

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

4cambob
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

How do the interior vents work on a coupe

Post by 4cambob »

I am taking about the rear interior vents that also house the rear window operating round knob and interior light,on a 2.0 at least. The space behind that vent is open to the boot area and to inside the sills as far as I am aware.
Vravolta
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: How do the interior vents work on a coupe

Post by Vravolta »

As far as I've understand the thing, this works as a valve that allows the air to flow out of the car while driving. And when stopping, to prevent bad smell from the exhaust to enter the car, there is a "cloth valve" that locks the flow. If you turn the knob, this will lock the "cloth valve" and thus, prevent any flow to happen when the car is running.
Unfortunately, the cloth is often worn meaning that the valve is no longer working. I guess also that the air out scheme was not working properly on the 2.0 and this resulted in the out grills to be relocated from the side of the window to the rear of the C pillar.
Regarding the rear light interior, first, there is little chance that they are still correctly wired as the wiring is a bit unusual. Second, there are multiple interactions with the 2 dashboard buttons and the buttons directly on the lights themselves. You have to read the owners manual to understand the logic that is quite … exotic. I finally understood the way it should work by having a close look to the wiring diagram which is a mix of negative and positive command. Good luck!
4cambob

Post by 4cambob »

Thanks Vravolta. My understanding for the round vents next to parcel shelf is like yours, however there is much more to all this. Those round vents have a channel in the bodywork going forward which finishes in a circular lip approximately 2 inch wide which I assume by looking at the diagram would then have a hose connecting it to some kind of mechanisms behind the vent near the rear arm rests. However my theory is that fiat did not install such a mechanism possibly as it did not work, and as on my car at least they sealed off the whole area behind the armrest panel with a plastic membrane so those armrest vents are now non functional.
Attachments
36a2d66f-bc83-4312-a8db-2254122cd4ba_zpsvza1uvll.jpg
36a2d66f-bc83-4312-a8db-2254122cd4ba_zpsvza1uvll.jpg (101.57 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
4cambob

Post by 4cambob »

I have had a better look behind the armrest grill and my theory was wrong. The plastic membrane (which was damaged and incomplete on mine) seems as if it should seal off the whole area except the circular opening refered to above so that these armrest grills are open to the rear round grill and body grills. But this would mean that any incoming exhaust fumes via the side window grill could not be stopped from passing the armrest grills.