Replacing seat cushions

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

CS Gupta
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Replacing seat cushions

Post by CS Gupta »

I want to replace the worn seat foam cushions in my 1967 Dino 2000 Coupe. I'm trying to find a match for the foam cushions from an existing car that's more commonly found, say a Fiat 124 or an Alfa. Has anyone looked into this? Is my understanding correct that the spider and coupe seats are different for the 1967 model year? Are the cushions the same from the 2.0 to the 2.4 coupe?
CS Gupta

Re: Replacing seat cushions

Post by CS Gupta »

Its been more than a year; does anyone have a hit or a clue about the seat foams and if they interchange with a 124 Spider/Coupe for a '67 Dino 2000 Coupe?
Peter Tabmow
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Peter Tabmow »

All I know is that the front seats were nearly identical to those of the Lamborghini Espada, with the rear seats similar to a lesser degree. The Alfa Romeo Montreal seats are also the same shape as in the Dino coupe. Not that those matches would do anything for the price of replacement cushions... Obviously, the connection here is Bertone rather than Fiat. Have you tried contacting www.dinopoint.it?
CS Gupta

Post by CS Gupta »

Interesting. Makes sense since the Montreal and Dino came off the same assembly line. I'll have a look at Dinopoint.
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

you can also use of of these and cut it to fit, the coupe dino 2 liter use a 3 piece foam. one for the middle and 2 side. the upholstery is attached to the inside metal bars and the edges have cardboard strips that are tucked inside the edges under the seat..
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LL1276BP ... x9EALw_wcB
Luis A

Post by Luis A »

I've looked at this as well and like Peter I realized they are the same seats as the Espada (I used to own one) and the Montreal. This thread on the Alfabb board gets into the subject and shows some photos of the foam. https://www.alfabb.com/threads/seat-foa ... 418/page-3

I also contacted Marco last September at Dinopoint and he indicated they have no ready-made foam to sell but a local upholsterer does the work for them.

My 2400 coupe has the gorgeous original blue wool fabric which is in very good condition but for a bit of wear on the driver's seat so above all, I want to preserve it. My foam provides reasonable support so I am not in a rush to redo it. I have a very talented upholsterer that has done excellent work for me on vintage BMW seats. If I were to take him these seats, I would only want him to recreate the foam and preserve and reuse the existing fabric. So I decided to investigate the seat construction and disassembled them myself to pass along my know-how to him when and if I take them to him. What I also did was switch position of the two front seats to prevent any further wear to the driver's seat. That required exchanging the reclining/hinge mechanism between the seats as they are a mirror image. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the process.

Dinoverde: Have you actually used the foam you posted in a DIno coupe seat?
dinoverde

Post by dinoverde »

sorry to disagree, but the dino coupe seats are nothing like the montreal or esparza inside. The pans are very different and do not have the foam side bar supports..
Emanuel H

Post by Emanuel H »

I have been told that the cushions came originally from Pirelli and that when they get old and crumbly, it can pose a health hazard and they should be replaced. Not sure whether this is such a big risk, but mine were literally leaving the seats in small streams of powder, and I had to redo them both in my 2400 coupe and my 130 coupe. I took both cars to a good car upholsterer. For the cushions, he used standard material and cut the pieces in the right form and shape by himself. He promised me that this solution would outlast any other part on the cars. It looked great, and it sure looked as if the car had just come out of the factory. And it was way more comfortable.
CS Gupta

Post by CS Gupta »

Has anyone replaced the seat foams themselves recently? Anyone tried shaping their own foam if they had the ability to do DIY?
Ribolla_67

Post by Ribolla_67 »

A good upholsterer should be capable to produce a precise reproduction of the original seat cushion.

As my beige velours driver seat was completely rotten, I decided to make the complete interior in leather (btw in the exact original Dino colour).

Btw, I have some good parts of the original velours from the rear seats for sale

Regards
Ribolla
Attachments
E5E25648-7418-4676-89B1-0365278A0003.jpeg
3FDA7080-2A85-40E6-898B-7F73A4757462.jpeg
BB8D3A45-5FD3-49BB-A297-6963C7501ED4.jpeg