red light on dashbobard

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

gaetan fourez
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

red light on dashbobard

Post by gaetan fourez »

hello, i proceeded to a refit of alternator and regulator but red light is still burning and battery is not reloaded. i heard there is a second regulator but i don''t where it is located. anybody has an experience to share? my dino is a coupé 2,4 1970 . thks in advance, Gaetan :roll:
alh
Dino: Ferrari Dino 246 GT

Re: red light on dashbobard

Post by alh »

There is only one regulator, but the red dash light is activated via a relay, which itself is driven by the regulator. Did you refit original or more modern parts?
gaetan fourez

Post by gaetan fourez »

Hello,
Thank you for your answer Adrien.
We refitted the original parts. The problem is that battery is not charging neither. Should it be the wiring or the relay? Where is located the relay?
Thks , mfg, Gaetan
alh
Dino: Ferrari Dino 246 GT

Post by alh »

Sorry i don't know where the relay is but would guess that it is installed behind the dashboard.
The wiring colors going to the relay are:
30/31: Black
85: Yellow
86: Azzurro
87: Orange

Make sure that the wiring at the regulator is correct, the grey wire should go to terminal 67 and the orange to terminal 15.
If you mix up the wires going to 67 and 15 then the alternator won't charge the battery.

If the alternator charges the battery, the "normally closed" relay will open (as the alternator applies ground to terminal 85 of the relay) and the red light switches off. A broken wire between the alternator terminal 30 and relay terminal 85 (yellow wire) will keep the red light switched on but the battery will charge normally.
Dario

Post by Dario »

Hi Gaetan, I had the same problem with mine. I think the relay is just next to the voltage regulator (on my 2400 Coupe), but the real problem for me turned out to be the regulator: it works by energising a coil that drives an electromagnet. A spring completes the circuit which oscillates at a frequency that is proportional to the current used by the car to energise the stuff that is turned on and charge the battery. This can be adjusted by "tuning" (i.e. bending) the lever between the electromagnet and the spring (some details are in one of the shop manuals). I tried for a while and gave up: it was either too high, or too low. Eventually replaced it with one from superformance, works great. However, you need to swap the relay that drives the warning light.

Good luck,

Dario
gaetan fourez

Post by gaetan fourez »

Thank you to Adrien and dario, it works now!
Neilsen

Post by Neilsen »

Hi Dario
Just stumbled on this post!!! What do you mean by you have to swap the relay that drives the warning light? I have the problem with the light staying on. I also replaced the voltage regulator with one from Superperformance.
Thanks in advance