Vacuum hoses

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

grega
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Vacuum hoses

Post by grega »

Does anyone understand why there are 2 hoses that go from the intake to the air filter housing?
Greg A.
alexjordan

Re: Vacuum hoses

Post by alexjordan »

I believe there are 2 hoses that go from the crankcase to the air cleaner housing to burn off crankcase fumes.

Alex
grega

Post by grega »

On my car. Early 67. There are 2 small hoses that go from the intake manifold to the air filter housing. I'll take a pic tonight.
dino176
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dino176 »

The question was why ? There are 2 hosens, one in the front and one on the last intake of the carburetors. The middel one has a small short circuit between the 2 barrels - I am guessing it does the same as the hose. But I dont undestand the purpose either ?
alexjordan

Post by alexjordan »

Greg,

I took a closer look and I believe that the 2 small hoses are Ferrari only items in use. I think they are run to the air box only for convenience in the Fiat. In the Ferrari motor I believe that they are part of the "Crankcase Gases and Oil Fumes Ventilation System".

The Crankcase is vented differently in the Ferrari and fumes are run directly to the intake manifold or perhaps the vacuum from the intake runners controls the pressure limiting valve.

If you find out for sure, please advise.

Cheers

Alex
dino176
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dino176 »

I did some reading on this subject.
It turns out that the 2 small hoses are there i create vacuum in the air filter box when the engine is running with throttles are closed (idling).

With the throttles closed there is no suction to take the fumes from the crankcase. Therefore the 2 small hoses create vacuums in the air filter box, insuring the crane case fumes are feed back to the engine. Then the throttles are open the vacuums runs thought the carburetors and the not the 2 small hoses.
Regards Jesper
grega

Post by grega »

Thanks for the response. That's interesting.
Greg
grega

Post by grega »

Has anyone plugged the small hoses. And just vented the crankcase gasses to open air?