Fuel pump replacement: BCD to Hardi

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Luis A
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Fuel pump replacement: BCD to Hardi

Post by Luis A »

Hi everyone,

NOTE: --The photo posting functionality is not working as it should so the photos are in reverse order --

I'd like to share my recent experience with my 2400 fuel pump. The pump in my car recently started making a buzzing/light rattling sound very intermittently but the pump still delivered an adequate amount of fuel. The car did not seem affected by any of this but I started researching the options for replacement since my pump looked to be original with the BCD (Corona) sticker. The pump output hose was the original style green semi-transparent plastic hose (Cavis style) and the return hose to the tank was surely original as it had "Pirelli" markings on it. How long ago did Pirelly stop making hoses?

Here are pics of the pump with input hose removed and the original "Pirelli" return hose, which I saved...
[attachment=1]image015.jpg[/attachment]

Finally the pump decided to not run but a couple of sharp blows got it going again, enough so that I could get the car home. Below are some photos of the disassembled pump. You can see the impeller with the moving vanes is driven by a shaft that has central collar with small rectangular protrusions that engage on the impeller. The problem, and cause for the buzzing/rattling is the shape of the protrusions, on the side that drives the impeller, has become slightly rounded so it does not reliably push on the impeller and just slides forward making the rattling/buzzing sound.

I can't see how the driving collar on the shaft could be repaired. I saved the pump with the hopes of being able to repair it in the future. Meanwhile I searched everywhere for a correct BCD Corona pump but have not been able to find one. Fortunately tehre is a German-made Hardi model 18812 pump that has the exact physical and flow/pressure specifications that the Webers need. It even fits on the existing bracket although some rewiring is required. I also removed the large filter capacitor since there is no room for it but it is not needed in my case since I don't have a radio in the car and newer pumps are likely not as electrically noisy as older ones. The hardi pump outlets can be moved and placed in the exact position the BCD pump inlet and outlets were.

I also replaced the green outlet hose with new Tygon yellow gasoline proof hose that fits through the openings in the suspension where both this hose and the return hose have to fit through. As well as the pump supply and tank return hoses with Cohline 2240 low permeation hose. That should last me another 30 years...
Attachments
image025.jpg
image031.jpg
image023.jpg
image067.jpg
image051.jpg
image047.jpg
image046.jpg
image002.jpg
image015.jpg
Tobi
Site Admin

Re: Fuel pump replacement: BCD to Hardi

Post by Tobi »

The Hardi is in fact a perfect replacement. Thanks for sharing your experience.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Thanks for sharing - it does look a perfect replacement, with the inlet/outlets able to be set the same positions as the original.

But I'm interested to know, was it for the asthetics - more like the original BCD? that you went for the Hardi over the Facet pump.

Or is the Hardi a better pump - closer to the original pumps, spec. ?

I have just installed a Facet pump but am thinking the Hardi seems better made and truer to the original.
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

If the Facet works, keep it. If not, the Hardi will work.
Luis A

Post by Luis A »

Vlad,

What I considered was the Hardi performance in terms of flow and pressure since most Facet pumps will exceed the 3 to 3.5 PSI maximum pressure that the Webers will take. The bracket included with the pump allows it to be mounted on the exact position and using the same factory holes so no modifications are required, plus the flexible outlet position, as you pointed out, is a huge plus. And, it's German made.

Luis