Ice Ice baby

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

vlad
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Ice Ice baby

Post by vlad »

Hi, what do others do regarding sounds - yeah right wind down the windows and listen to the sound of the engine :D

I do too! ….But I also have a rubbish period radio/cassette player in the dash - which doesn't work

Options ?

1. Remove it and put a blanking plate in its place (does anyone have one to sell - know of a source? I seem to remember someone had reproduced these recently?)

If I do this I might still put a bluetooth unit behind the dash - to allow hands free use of a mobile and streaming of music.

2. Get the innards of my existing radio replaced / upgraded with modern dab, Bluetooth functionality.

3. Buy an already upgraded period correct unit.

4. buy a superficially 'period' looking unit but which is brand new (retro sounds, classic car stereo) which has all the functionality DAB, Bluetooth.

5. Fix the existing FM/LW/MW radio/cassette unit - and probably never use it.

Thanks
Dario

Re: Ice Ice baby

Post by Dario »

Hi, I did it inexpensively by installing a second hand Blaupunkt amp in the trunk and adding a 8€ bluetooth receiver. It works great, and the 400 W are just what you need if you want to hear anything above the wind and engine. Otherwise, I just put it on medium and I only hear the music when at a stoplight waiting for it to turn green :) Initially, I had converted the non-working radio to a USB supply and audio in, but the bluetooth is much better and no cables.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Thanks Dario, that's a good idea, amp + Bluetooth receiver. & gives the option of beefing up the power - though would there even be period correct separate amplifiers in the 1970's ? I don't think ICE was very sophisticated back then!

for the sake of ease of wiring I might go period radio, converted to have Bluetooth and playback from a phone via aux cable.

Though I appreciate amplification/watts per channel is going to be pretty weedy!

perhaps Blaupunkt / Radiomobile / Sharp or was it dependant of country of delivery and suppling dealer fit? is there an Italian radio manufacturer ?

Was there a particular make/model of radio/radio cassette that would be correct for a 1970 car ? I have been told my Radiomobile radio/cassette is 1980's (looks pretty old to me - and of course is sort of correct - ownership of these cars is about the journey - I am not to hung up about the radio being dated the same as the build year of my car. Obviously though an all singing and dancing flashing lights 1990's style CD kenwood/sony would look a bit naff though!

I'll probably only ever listen to On Days like these by Matt Munro :D
Vravolta

Post by Vravolta »

I've gone for a Pioneer Bluetooth radio that can be fully managed through an IPhone. The autoradio seats hidden in the glove box, the DAB and FM antenas are hidden in the car and no one can notice that the car actually has a radio.